Deep litter for the run?

I have large tree bark wood chips in mine only because the "chicken whisperer" recommend it on one of his videos and I haven't cleaned it out or added to it or anything and it's been over 6 months now and I don't notice any smell or even really notice any bird droppings. They kick them around so much while scratching that it gets covered up I guess. Look for yourself in some of the pics and tell me if you see any reason to clean or do anything different. I think I'll just buy more and put them over the top once they break down and decompose.

83761_043_2.jpg

83761_046_2.jpg

83761_034_2.jpg
Fabulous, I love this idea. Gives me another alternative.
I have various beds in my run, some with composted manure, some with stone dust/screening and one with leaves and one with pine branches/boughs (which they seem enjoy pecking at)

Last edited:
I'm really interested in this wood nuggets idea. Have any of you from early in the thread who were considering it gone ahead and done it? What are your thoughts? I really don't want to do sand as the run area is too big to have to scoop it out like I do in the coop.

Deep litter using dried wood chips works so well, keeping chickens warm as heat is emitted from decomposition, and sparing me the need to clean often. HOWEVER, we thought we were very clever having a tree trimming company bring us chipped wood for free after they finished on a pine that day. It was NOT good. The moisture in the wood caused infections in my chooks feet. It is very important to use only dried wood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom