Deep litter in brooder ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amyh, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have decided to do the deep litter method for the first time in my brooder with three baby chicks. The chicks are messy and they seem to spill a lot of feed and water, so the pine shavings are mixed with food and a little damp to the touch in places. Is this okay? I feel like it might breed disease in this heat, so I'm tempted to just clean it and start fresh every few days...

Thoughts?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, it works best if you use a nipple watering system, so there's no spillage. The feed isn't an issue; that gives chicks something to scratch in the litter for!

If you don't want to go to a nipple watering system, or in the interim until you DO, put the waterer up on a brick. There will be less litter kicked into it, less spillage. Then you just scoop out the damp part near the waterer and add more litter, periodially.

3. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    It's my understanding the the deep litter method is primarily for a coop with an earthen floor. We plan on doing the same thing - but in the brooder (kiddie pool with pine shavings) we just "stir the pot" once or twice a day to mix things up and prevent the girls from laying in their own poo.

http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/a/deeplitter.htm

EDIT: Added link

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by