Deep Litter in Run and How to Keep Clean

Pics
My coop has 6 inches of dry sand I scoop every day.
How long have you had the sand bedding?

@Dlepage ...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1633523366798.png

How long have you had the sand bedding?

@Dlepage ...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2857219
I’m in Ontario I have only had the coop since April built it starting with my cedar shed. Did a lot of research over the years as I had always wanted chicken when I retired. There’s a ton of information out there on sand in coop supposed to be warm in winter and cooler in summer. Moisture is the biggest problem with other bedding in the coops but sand keeps everything very dry. Chicken don’t need bedding because they roost. I hav my roost covered in memory foam then material and the thick clear vinyl so I can wipe it down

I’m in Ontario I have only had the coop since April built it starting with my cedar shed. Did a lot of research over the years as I had always wanted chicken when I retired. There’s a ton of information out there on sand in coop supposed to be warm in winter and cooler in summer. Moisture is the biggest problem with other bedding in the coops but sand keeps everything very dry. Chicken don’t need bedding because they roost. I hav my roost covered in memory foam then material and the thick clear vinyl so I can wipe it down

Attachments

• 2C88B36E-FB4C-4936-80B4-91E5CBCF602B.jpeg
    2C88B36E-FB4C-4936-80B4-91E5CBCF602B.jpeg
    751.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi.

I am a new chicken owner and my chickens have been in their coop/run for a couple months now. I am wondering what do people put in their runs and how do you keep it clean? We have 10 laying hens - they all have names and my daughter bring chairs into the run and hold them a few times a week. Yes - we are one of those people who treat their animals like part of the family. 😊

The run is on dirt/gravel and I put down some pine shavings and pellets that I bought for the coop but didn't like - I went with Koop Clean instead. I clean the coop on a daily basis, but after a few weeks the run starts to get poopy and the chickens feet start getting really dirty (especially the cochins). We live in Maine and it rains and snows a lot. It is a covered run and I plan on putting hay in there over the winter to help keep it warm.

Anyway - I just didn't know what most people do to keep the floor of the coop clean and the poopy feet at a minimum. I am doing deep litter in the coop and loving it - it is staying clean, doesn't smell. Is there a way to do deep litter in the run or is it better to haul out the bedding every month or so? I read where someone puts activated carbon/charcoal in the run to facilitate composting and raise the carbon. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks for your time.
I use river sand only! My Golden girls love it as they lay down and wallow in it and throw sand through their feathers. I put some earth in a horse feed low bucket so they can get to that too! It prevents bugs and it’s food grade so it won’t hurt them. I clean the run with a rake that I put hardware cloth on and secured it with zip ties. I just rake the sand and dump it in a tarp. Very easy to drag away.

Hi.

I am a new chicken owner and my chickens have been in their coop/run for a couple months now. I am wondering what do people put in their runs and how do you keep it clean? We have 10 laying hens - they all have names and my daughter bring chairs into the run and hold them a few times a week. Yes - we are one of those people who treat their animals like part of the family. 😊

The run is on dirt/gravel and I put down some pine shavings and pellets that I bought for the coop but didn't like - I went with Koop Clean instead. I clean the coop on a daily basis, but after a few weeks the run starts to get poopy and the chickens feet start getting really dirty (especially the cochins). We live in Maine and it rains and snows a lot. It is a covered run and I plan on putting hay in there over the winter to help keep it warm.

Anyway - I just didn't know what most people do to keep the floor of the coop clean and the poopy feet at a minimum. I am doing deep litter in the coop and loving it - it is staying clean, doesn't smell. Is there a way to do deep litter in the run or is it better to haul out the bedding every month or so? I read where someone puts activated carbon/charcoal in the run to facilitate composting and raise the carbon. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks for your time.
I use sand in the coop and run. It is so clean and we scoop the poop every day, it takes a minute or two. We have 4 chickens, total pets love them to pieces! sooo spoiled!
I love the sand floors there is very little moisture in the coop. we live in Ontario Canada and it gets cold here and moister in the coop would be a problem for frost bite. it is our first year with them so I am a bit over protective. I bought two cozy coop heaters,(Apparently they dont like to share, saw them push Daisy off to the side at night on my web cam- lol so I got a second one for her) they are just to take the chill off them when sleeping, I know these heaters are not meant to heat the coop, but to lift the chill only. I don't plan to turn them on until it is quite cold out.
but I think Sand it was the best thing I have done for my coop. so clean and zero smell and no flies at all this summer.

Hi.

Thanks for your time.
Hi Maggie. I live in Plymouth Maine. Only 25 min from you. I have 11 girls & ike you, I "poop scoop" the coop every day. I don't want poopy eggs. (Large Kitty litter scoops work great)

Their run: 20X40. I don't compost. With childrens rake n shovel, I throw the poop into the adjoining field. (I've learned some people keep the poop in a Covered tin bucket to use later in a compost pile).

Later Summer& Fall came heavy rain. After each 2 or 3 day run of rain, I very, very lighty powdered Lime with a hand held spreader. Covered that with Diatomaceous Earth (definitely helps with the fleas & ticks). The spreader works great for that too. Lots of leaves & weeds from the garden and 1/2 brick of pine chips.

Hi Maggie. I live in Plymouth Maine. Only 25 min from you. I have 11 girls & ike you, I "poop scoop" the coop every day. I don't want poopy eggs. (Large Kitty litter scoops work great)

Their run: 20X40. I don't compost. With childrens rake n shovel, I throw the poop into the adjoining field. (I've learned some people keep the poop in a Covered tin bucket to use later in a compost pile).

Later Summer& Fall came heavy rain. After each 2 or 3 day run of rain, I very, very lighty powdered Lime with a hand held spreader. Covered that with Diatomaceous Earth (definitely helps with the fleas & ticks). The spreader works great for that too. Lots of leaves & weeds from the garden and 1/2 brick of pine chips.
Hi. Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it! This year the rain was pretty crazy! But the girls didn’t mind - they found a lot worms!

Back
Top Bottom