Deep Litter in the Chicken Yard?

jomoncon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I've been using deep litter in the chicken coop & it's been great. In looking through various YouTube videos, I ran across this one that discusses deep litter in the chicken yard - outdoors.
. It starts around point 2:31. The lady talks about using deep litter "mulch" in her chicken yard. She uses what she calls "old mulch hay," bedding from the henhouse and leaves.

It's been easy for me to keep the coop & the run pretty clean, but the yard area I have dedicated to the girls is a mess!! Lots oh holes they've dug, old poop, whatever. It's a muddy mess when it rains and absolutely grows. I was wondering if I spread a layer of leaves, maybe the coop litter and some pine needles if that would help keep the yard area in better shape.

What are your opinions?

I also use the deep litter method in the girls' coop. Really makes for easier cleaning and does keep things from getting too mucky. Now that the weather has improved, when they are out foraging I have been able to do a deep cleaning, added fresh straw/hay/dry leaves. They do enjoy making their own arrangements with it. I am impressed with how quickly 3 hens can re-do a 6ft. X 12ft coop. No matter how I arrange it, they must "fix" what I do.

The other day, after they came back in from a long day of scratching/pecking, they dug out a lovely deep hole and all 3 snuggled down in it making little cooing sounds and fluffing up their feathers.

They are soooo cute!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom