Deep litter method in the coop but no garden

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi everyone I am trying to figure out what I should do. I want to do the deep litter method but every where I read about it when it's time to do that big clean out your supposed to put it in your garden but I don't have a garden right know so where would I put all the poop and stuff. Thanks

One solution would be to get a garden. Yeah, right.

When you take that stuff out you might have two situations. The really nice compost may be segregated out at the bottom with the stuff not quite finished at the top. If that is the situation you can use the compost in your yard, just spread it out. You can try filling holes and low spots. Or use it in landscaping beds. Leave the stuff that has not composted in the coop/run to finish composting. Or move it to a compost pile.

If you are not comfortable spreading the stuff that comes out on your lawn or in landscaping beds, pile it up somewhere and let it finish composting.

If you are in the US, contact your local master gardeners. It is highly likely someone will clean it out for you just for the chance to haul it away. Or advertise it for free on Craigslist or whatever the Craigslist equivalent is in your country as long as thy are willing to clean it out and haul it away.

Alot of people like the deep litter method but im not an advocate. If done incorrectly you are leaving your birds subject to disease and pests from walking around in feces. That feces can also freeze in the winter months causing frostbite. We just dug a hole in the backyard away from the house and clean it weekly. We have not had a single issue with pests of any kind as of yet and going on 3 months. Whatever you decide to do be sure to do your research so that your birds will be happy and healthy

Back
Top Bottom