Deep litter method in upstate New York climate

morrischicks

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
My husband and I are looking into many different coop plans as we plan to build ours in the next few weeks as we want to move our chicks into it by 6 weeks.
We want to use the deep litter method and are looking for advice on this or if anyone in upstate New York climates or northern Vermont area uses the deep litter method and suggestions on type of coop etc.

thank you in advance!

How often do you clean your coop? Do you simply just turn your little up once a week and add more shavings to it? Do you notice it being too warm in summer or warm enough in winter? We don’t want to insulate our coop so hoping it helps keeps the chicks warm in the winter.

Actually, I only do it about once a month. The chickens will do a lot of the mixing for you. I haven't really noticed that it affects the temperatures at all.

I don't heat or insulate my coops and everybody does fine. It largely depends on the breeds that you have. The larger the comb and wattles, the greater the risk of frostbite. When it gets really cold (I've had it go down to -50F), they'll huddle closely and be less active, but pretty much look after themselves. Heat is more of an issue for them. I know that your summers get a lot warmer than mine. Make sure that they always have water, and space for them. They will lay with their wings spread out to try to cool off. I've heard of people putting misters in (a regular garden one), to help keep them cool. Providing cover in the run helps, as they can get out of the direct sun. You can do with with a hard cover, or even a tarp that is light coloured, but opaque. This way they'll still get light, but it will help filter out the rays and heat.

Ventilation is definitely key, especially in warmer weather. Their poop gives off a lot of amonia. In the winter, when it's frozen, it doesn't give off any gas, but when it's above freezing, hoo boy does it ever!

Feel free to keep asking questions. I love talking chickens.

I’m actually very interested in the deep litter method too. I planned to use it and am a week into my coop having our chickens in it.

My floor is enamel painted wood, and I know it’s usually done on earth (but our coop is in a treehouse). Will it get enough moisture? Or do I need to spray it once in a while (I want to avoid mould at all costs).
Do I just add more clean wood shavings now that a week has gone by, or wait a few weeks? The bedding seems to be mixed droppings through the chips, but there’s no smell.
One question I have is about chicken parasites/ disease and cracked corn. I keep reading that the chickens should scratch in the litter for food and turn it up in the process, but that sounds like a recipe for trouble. I was planning to keep the coop food free all summer, and hang it in the run. Should I be sprinkling cracked corn or feed into the deep litter?

My floor is just painted wood too, and is doing fine thus far (3 years).

I wouldn't worry too much about tossing anything into the coops for them to scratch. They'll do it looking for bugs.

As far as moisture, their poop should provide enough of that. Personally, all that I do is put shavings down and turn and add more litter when the shavings turn to dust.

I struggle with mites with my birds often. Carbaryl works really well treating them. Unfortunately for us Canadians, it's no longer legal. I just tried putting peppermint essential oil all around, but haven't really noticed any difference. You can "bomb" your coop (spray insecticides), but follow the directions... chances are you'll have to lock the birds out of the coop for a few hours.

Another treatment that works well on the birds (it doesn't eliminate anything from the coop) is ivermectin. Put a few drops of the pour over type on the back of their necks. This will kill mites as well as any worms that they may have. There's a 14 day withdrawal period, which means you can't eat the eggs during that time, nor slaughter birds for eating. Try not to do this very often. A maximum of 2x a year is recommended.

If you've got scaly leg mites (the scales on their legs will become more prominent) a great treatment is, believe it or not, WD-40. Just spray their legs with it. It'll suffocate the mites.

I've found that my birds don't like cracked corn. Whole corn is another story. They love it! But, I've also found my birds to be rather picky. They won't eat anything once it's fallen onto the coop floor, so tossing anything on it would go uneaten. So, things like corn I toss into their runs as scratch.

My husband and I are looking into many different coop plans as we plan to build ours in the next few weeks as we want to move our chicks into it by 6 weeks.
We want to use the deep litter method and are looking for advice on this or if anyone in upstate New York climates or northern Vermont area uses the deep litter method and suggestions on type of coop etc.

thank you in advance!
First let me say, I am too cheap to buy cedar chips. I cut grass with the tractor when it is still mostly flat blades (6 to 8 inches tall) and not many stalks to use a litter after drying. It's soft and easy for the chickens to scratch in. I put a layer down that is around 1 foot deep before the chickens compact it. I also use it in the nests. I have read that using grass stalks or straw can encourage parasites which make a home inside the hollow straw tubes..

First let me say, I am too cheap to buy cedar chips. I cut grass with the tractor when it is still mostly flat blades (6 to 8 inches tall) and not many stalks to use a litter after drying. It's soft and easy for the chickens to scratch in. I put a layer down that is around 1 foot deep before the chickens compact it. I also use it in the nests. I have read that using grass stalks or straw can encourage parasites which make a home inside the hollow straw tubes..
Guessing you mean pine shavings, as cedar chips/shavings can be toxic.
I like to 'make hay' out of my long lawn too, if weather conditions cooperate to actually get it dry.

Back
Top Bottom