Deep Litter Method, Please explain, Questions from Newbie thanks Sunny

I don't think that DLM has anything to do with food costs.... It cuts down on bedding costs because you're not changing bedding constantly, but I don't know how it could help food costs....

Oh, I see. It was my understanding though, that insects and worms would migrate to the nutrient rich soil produced from the DLM and that the chickens would then scratch and dig up the insects and worms to eat.

Is this not the case then?

I figured as much but wanted to be sure. I just want to get away from the commercial feeds but unfortunately most of the small farmers are gone around here and buying organic from anywhere else is more expensive.

Thanks for the clarification.

Oh, I see. It was my understanding though, that insects and worms would migrate to the nutrient rich soil produced from the DLM and that the chickens would then scratch and dig up the insects and worms to eat.

Is this not the case then?
The way BeeKissed does it you would have bugs living in it. She told me not to use green grass clippings but to think forest floor, pine straw, dried leaves. Mine isn't covered (my run) that I am going to do this in. I do plan on using a tarp over it though since it does have poultry wire over the top.She said it would have benefical bugs in there that would eat the lice and mites and stuff off their feet as well as other bugs they could eat. I don't think she uses lime OR DE either because that would probably kill the good bugs. :)

Last edited:
Grass, leaves and sawdust is great . I don't add anything in the mix and my hen area don't smell . For dusting purposes I have a box (with no bottom ) filled 1/3 with sand and DE for dusting .My box is 2 X 4 ft. My chicken love to scratch in the run and coop , and dust in the box . OH the dust box is in the run on dirt , when it rains it drains quickly .

Back
Top Bottom