1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep Litter Method Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sggmom62, Jun 4, 2016.

1. sggmom62

sggmom62 New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    Very simple question, actually. We have pine shavings and DME. What type of cat litter do you use? I am intrigued by this and am a new backyard chicken momma.

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    When people talk deep "litter" they're not talking about cat litter but natural, organic materials like grass clippings, straw, hay, dead leaves, pine needles and other garden or landscape debris. The chicken poo drops to the ground below, out of sight and decomposes. No odor, nothing to attract flies.

We use the Deep Litter Method in our run with the above mentioned materials and has worked out very well. We continue to add materials through out the year as it breaks down, then do a complete clean out in the spring. The result is some beautiful compost for the garden.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Momma:

I'd never made that connection before, but it's easy to see how one would. Kitty litter, deep litter. Both do serve the same purpose, but are simply different materials. Not that much different, as it turns out, as some are using sand as their chicken litter medium and sift through it to filter the droppings, much as cat owners do their litter boxes.

Good question!!!

4. sggmom62

sggmom62 New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    Thank you so much!!

5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    DO NOT use deep litter method if you live in the desert states though

like for my state (Arizona) where it's currently around 100-110 during day.. do not use deep litter

since with compost it will heat up..

so the last thing you want is a hot floor in the already hot 100-110 heat temperature for your chickens

deep litter is ideal for people in colder states as one of the ways to keep their chickens warm during the cold/freezing days

plus it's not that cold here in phoenix..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by