Deep litter method - where to purchase hemp bedding in Oregon?

I watch Matt from Carolina Coops, he calls it the diaper of the coop! He recommends hemp. I've been using it now for over 5 months. No smell, no flies and it's dry. I can leave it probably another 6-8 months, but want to have more on hand. I believe it's working well in the coop.
Is that with ducks? How deep would you go in the dead of winter...like almost now here in NH? I pout at least 6" of straw down in the coop for them and they dig holes for their bodies. Wondering if you do the same with hemp.

Hi, sorry I do not have ducks. Maybe someday! But just to follow up, the hemp still does not smell and is dry. I am not sure how it would work out for ducks. But I would definitely suggest that you call into Carolina Coops regarding this thought. They build coops for chickens and ducks. I'm sure they would love to answer your questions.

Hi, sorry I do not have ducks. Maybe someday! But just to follow up, the hemp still does not smell and is dry. I am not sure how it would work out for ducks. But I would definitely suggest that you call into Carolina Coops regarding this thought. They build coops for chickens and ducks. I'm sure they would love to answer your questions.
Thanks. I just sent them an email. We'll see what they say.

Hi, I've been using the deep litter method with hemp bedding. I'm looking for a more local (in-state or PNW area) to purchase hemp bedding. I want to stock up, but I am having issues locating a seller in Oregon or the PNW in general.

When first starting with our chickens I purchased hemp bedding from a local person that had chickens, but he is no longer in the area. Suggestions? I don't want to use straw or pine as it's not as absorbent.

I'm getting ready to close up my garden beds and hope to spread the currently well-used hemp over the beds. But if I can't find some soon, this help will last another season, as it still has no smell and isn't dusty.

I know I can purchase online from many places, but shipping is so expensive from other parts of the nation.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Laura
Hi, I a new coop owner as of May and I’m using deep litter with hemp as well. I love that there has been no smell and very dry. I can’t find it locally either but did find am.prime no cost shipping…. I watch for the damaged/ returned bales that are sold at 1/2 price. Out of 3 bales (33lbs each) they had small tears in the plastic covered in tape… overall lose was maybe a cup per bale.

Back
Top Bottom