Deep Litter Method.....

This explaination was great!! Thank you so much. I guess in order to do this you would need a board across the doorway of the coop in order to hold the shavings in. I guess I'm off to the farm store to get my wood shavings!!! Thanks to all, I just love this site. I have the how to book but nothing is better than real live advice from those who live it.

There are different brands of pine shavings too! I use Thoroughbed, it does not have the dust like Mallard Creek brand of pine shavings has. Not sure if your local feedstore carries either brand but just tell them you want a dust free brand. It might be a bit more for the dust free brand I think I pay about $2.00 more for it but I also get more in the bale.

I like the brand I use it is just like the pine shavings you can buy at the pet store just in a bale!!!

YES, get a kick board in front of the door it helps to keep the shavings going everywhere! Not much but it does help!
smile.png

Quote:
That's exactly what I do. Because of the design of my Henhouse, I can't pile up the litter too deeply. And I like to have some poop to add to my compost -- seems to hasten the composting process.

I use DLM also. I usually just have to clean out from under the roosts about once a week and that gets composted. One great tool for me is I use a doggie pooper scooper, the rake is small and catches most of the poo.

Where can you find DE other then over the internet? Is this something that most farm stores would carry? Maybe some other Indiana folks can help me out here with places local to us.

I have a wooden floor and I've noticed the DLM does not work with straw. Poop doesn't soak into straw. I clean out the hen house about once every 3 weeks. If I don't it starts to smell like ammonia really bad and dispite DE I've had grub worms in the litter. EWWWW!

Moonlit farms, I live in central Indiana. The best place I have found thus far to get DE is http://www.custommilling.com. I have checked at local farm supply stores and they do not have it. It is possible that some garden shops could carry it, since it is an organic "pesticide" product, but I would imagine it would be expensive. Custom Milling has very good prices and they ship it quickly. I highly recommend using it. .

Back
Top Bottom