Deep Litter Method

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scoot58, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Scoot58

Scoot58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Carver MA
    I am going to try the deep litter method for the winter in my coop and I have a few questions. I have a heavy wire floor in the coop for summer. I plan on putting plywood or rubber over it for the winter. Which do you think would be better? I was also wondering if it is OK to use Stall Dry with the deep litter method to help keep it dry? I have been having trouble finding the food grade DE.
    Thanks for you help.

2. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I would vote for the plywood, it would breath a little more and maybe would stay warmer then the rubber? And for the DE I had to go to a feed store. They were actually out of it, I have to wait for the next shipment...and the supplier for that only brings it in once a month!

I'm not familiar with stall dry but at tsc they have stall boy. The manager said it stings the feet a little more then DE. I decided not to get it.

3. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I use stall dry from the local feed store with my silkies.. and they don't seem to mind it. I also use DE but when I cleaned pens to start the deep litter method I use it and then about every so many hand fulls of wood chips I ad a bit helps with the smell. But I will say a little goes a long way.

4. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    I'm using the deep litter method in my coop (2x4 roost box area). I have a plywood floor and put rubber matting over it. I put a thin layer of Stall Dry on the bottom then added pine shavings, layering in some DE and Poultry Dust with the shavings. I also layered in some Lavender buds (since I have about 80 plants). Lavender is a natural insect repellent, so I figured it wouldn't hurt.
    I clean out any excess poop, rake and fluff a little, and add shavings (with DE and PD) when needed. My coop stays dry and clean smelling and the girls have a nice "bed" to cuddle into if they don't want to sit on thier roost (no heat in the coop for winter). Since I don't really disturb the very bottom, where the Stall Dry is, I don't worry about it for the girls - although I believe the brand I got from TSC said it's basically DE and clay, so should be no problem.

5. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I did that the other day. They gave me pine shavings instead of the white shavings I usually get. The pine shavings seem to be more like sawdust then shavings. I'm using it because it's to far back to the feed store and since I have a well ventalated full-size coop I think it will be ok, but I'll make sure I get the right stuff next time. I like the white shavings better, they break down, but start out more chip like and not as dusty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by