Deep Litter Method?

awalters0815

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Plainfield, IN
I started the deep litter method today. I sprinkled the coop with diotamaceous earth and then covered the floor with wood shavings. I also set up a manure board and I built a pedestal to sit the food and water on to keep it out of the litter.

Am I missing any key components? Do you have any aditional suggestions for maintaining a healthy flock. I just went from two birds to 7, so I am a little concerned about keeping them all healthy.

Quote:
How old are your girls?

Mine are 18 weeks and they've been on deep litter since a week old. Currently I have about 8" built up in the coop and they are doing fine. The most important thing is to keep it dry. Keeping it dry helps dry out fresh droppings. The occasional thin layer of pine shavings and (rare) addition of DE and I've been problem free so far. The girls do a good job turning it as well.

Mine have been on the DLM for about one month and it has been very wet and humid here. It's about 6 inches deep. I use pine shavings and DE. No smell other than the pine shavings at this point. I'm very happy with the results up to now. It's fly time here as well and I haven't had any problems. I did turn it last night, but that is all I've done. I hope to have some great compost in the spring. BTW...our overnight temp dipped to 44 Fahrenheit. I do think that fall is on the way here.

I am also using the DLM since they went into the coop several months ago. I have 10 chickens but will be going to 8 shortly and my coop is 10x10. I use pine shavings and food grade DE. I do use a little scoop to clean up under their roost each morning and I fluff things up a bit. I have no odor problem and no fly issues. I tend to put the shavings a little deeper under their roost and add some periodically. It works for us and we are happy with this method. It will help during the winter as well.

See my BYC page for my Coop pics that I have been using DLM (the true method) for over 15 years. True DLM is composting in place, and you can't do that on a wooden/concrete floor, you need a sub-ground dirt base. I only clean it out in the spring when I want the brown gold for my garden. I rarely turn it.

Back
Top Bottom