Deep litter method

Pics
I am in virgin territory with deep litter approach, but it seems like the way to go for me.

I have a new coop and am getting 11 girls tomorrow.

If you were to suggest a grocery list for me at the feed store today to get ready for deep litter, what would you put on the list??

Thanks for all you can offer!

BigCyg

Like chicken food or the litter?

I use everything from straw, hay and dried leaves. You can even put in paper as well. Works so well. I was JUST talking to my mom about it less than an hour ago. This methods really does rock. Can't wait to use all my compost!

Quote:
Wood shavings are the most reliable. I would get enough to spread up to 6 inches across you whole coop, plus some for top ups. You can experiment with other things as times goes on. Some diatomaceous earth (food grade) to regularly sprinkle would be a good idea too. Keep it simple to start with and when you have a feel for it experiment.

This is my first year with chickens. I have a total of 16 chicks in a 8x10 coop. We used DLM all summer and it worked great. However, now that the cold has descended on us, the poop has frozen solid with the wood chips to the point I can't rake it. It is starting to smell. I thought that the wood composts itself. What am I going wrong?

Quote:
It actually has to be a tiny bit moist to start the composting process so it will generate heat. Most people don't add moisture as the poop is moist. The shavings absorb the moisture and it usually stays about the right moistness to decompose beautifully. Is it possible your deep litter is not deep enough? It would dry out too much if it is shallow. If it is frozen and smelly now I'd be adding to the top anyway. I don't know what others do but i don't rake. I just throw a bit of scratch mix in and the chickens rake for me. They turn it over much better than i would searching for that last sunflower seed.

I am using DE and the shavings are at least 7-8" thick. The poop is completely frozen into a mass. Should I just add fresh on top? My chickens are free rangers until it gets really nasty out - they don't seem to scratch up the bedding very much.

sounds like the litter hasn't been stirred up enough and the poo has layed in a piling up heap? this is the first year I'll see freezing temps in my coop - previously I kept it above freezing with a couple red flood lights but I had only 8 chickens in a insulated 12x12 shed. Now I have 17 chickens and 7 ducks in there and am trying to keep it dry and ammonia free with good ventilation - regular every other day or two cleaning on the duck side, and deep litter on the chickens side. Keeping airflow high up and draft dogging with a blanket hanging on the open side of the shed. I keep posting this don't I? lol....

Quote:
I would add a layer of shavings on top, now. After that, I'd sprinkle some on as needed anywhere it looks too poopy, especially under the roosts or anywhere else you tend to see crusting, if you let it go. When you don't want to stir as much or can't stir, just try to lightly add shavings more often, as the poop is added.

As an example, instead of adding a thicker layer of a couple of inches once a month that you have to stir every week, add a light layer only in the areas that need it, once or twice a week. That way, you're incorporating it as it builds. I like to keep a bale in the corner with a feed scoop in it, to make it easy to do. Anyway, that's one way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom