Deep litter method

Pics
I agree bee. Even as a newbie I listened to you and other OTs and pulled out the insulation. My girls favorite roost was in front of the half opened end. No frostbite anywhere. Their feet were warmer sitting on that roost in front of that opening than mine in the house :)

And I had an alive earthworm in the DL spend of December when temps were in the teens. That DL certainly did its job

The place where I work is always looking for what they call "Green Ideas" Instead of throwing out the saw dust they are giving it away to employees to use as farm bedding. Jack Pot I don't have to buy wood shavings anymore.
wee.gif

Thank you. I have lots of ventilation over their heads. Maybe I need to open up the floor area some. How to do it without letting in predators will be my issue. I'll be thinking on this. Thanks again.

Oh, and my hens have not had any issues with frostbite at all. It has been only the males with their big combs.

Last edited:
Think floor vents that one uses for a house one heats with forced air...they are adjustable and easy to install. You can open or close them to allow however much air you like. I'd suggest a couple at the floor near the roosting area so that the air can flow up and out right past the problem area.

Here are the vents I used.

They have little slanted covers over them so they keep the rain and the strong winds out. They also make bigger ones to. I cant manually open and close these but some larger ones I put in I covered with heavy duty plastic when they didnt keep the rain out (they were placed to high and near the top so the rain just ran in) These smaller ones have worked perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom