Deep litter method

Pics
Another newbie here...
(I will receive my new babies in a couple weeks)
I've been reading up on the deep litter method, and it sounds great in theory, but I'm still not sure I'm sold on it. All my questions have been asked and answered here. And it seems it would be more cost effective. But being the anal person that I am, I'm just not sure I will be able to leave that stuff in there a whole year! I'm guessing I can just give it a shot, and if a few months down the road I decide it's just not a method that works for me, I guess I could just clean it all out and start over...
Hmmm guess I just answered my own question lol. But feel free to respond anyway. I can always use the input!
wee.gif

One thing I don't see mentioned much is it is partly dependent on how many birds you have in the space. I have found in relatively short time, if you do not have enough birds, they wont keep the litter turned as well so you will have to do that yourself.

They don't sell them in my area. Everyone else in this area orders them by the truckload/skid load. I most certainly do not need that large of an amount. We are a very small rural community, and I have checked the feed supply store and they don't carry bedding. We don't have a tractor supply here either.

Have you contacted anyone near you that gets the large orders about going in with them on an order, or just offering to buy some off of them when they get an order?

I have used hay & straw in the past but it tends to hold moisture more & when we had torrential rains here for a couple of weeks it started to smell. I use pine shavings now with dried grass, leaves, pine needles etc. free is good!!
Those fax shavings looks ok. As for the chicks eating them my 5 & 6 week old looked like they were but I don't think they actually did. I know some people use pine pellets for horse stalls since when moisture is added it breaks down into shavings.

You could also see if someone else wants to by pine shavings & split the order. I know when they go on sale here I buy extras since they won't go bad and stay dry with the plastic wrappers

One thing I don't see mentioned much is it is partly dependent on how many birds you have in the space. I have found in relatively short time, if you do not have enough birds, they wont keep the litter turned as well so you will have to do that yourself.
I'll have my 5 girls in a 4 'w x 8' L x 4' H coop...(not counting the run). That should be plenty in that space to do the job right?

I use the deep litter method. I take water used to clean chicken feeders and waterers. I find it encourages composting and brings in bugs for the girls to snack on in the mornings

I had chosen to use the deep liter method but am reconsidering. I find in many areas, the wood chips are really packed down, so I don't think it's working correctly. And I'm really concerned about mites. I'm trying to take deeper, but not sure if this is the best method for me. I have a small flock of 6 in large enclosed area.

You need to rake the shavings once a week or so so they don't get packed down. I usually pile them all in the middle of the coop and let the girls spread them around. I no longer use hay or straw because they can carry mites. Shavings won't support them that I know of. I also have very little wood in my coop for the mites to live in.

I also have a small flock of 8. It takes awhile to get deep litter. Especially during the summer since I rarely need to add anything since they are out all day. I am using dried grass clipping and shavings now. Probably haven't added anything in a month. The only place it get packed down is around the waterer so it gets raked more often

I had chosen to use the deep liter method but am reconsidering. I find in many areas, the wood chips are really packed down, so I don't think it's working correctly. And I'm really concerned about mites. I'm trying to take deeper, but not sure if this is the best method for me. I have a small flock of 6 in large enclosed area.

That packing down is not a bad thing unless it is proving to be a "cap". Eventually the litter has to pack down and remain undisturbed at the bottom in order for the various bugs, worms, larvae, bacteria, etc. to start decomposing the material. If it is clumping together on the surface of the litter, then turn it over and into the dry litter...it will dry out and get blended in with the dry litter.

I never rake my litter but occasionally if the birds are not tossing the top of the litter very often, I'll take the pitchfork and place a fork or two of litter over the manure directly under the roosts. This doesn't happen very often and one doesn't have to disturb the litter pack too much to accomplish this. Just the looser and dryer upper layers.

Back
Top Bottom