Deep litter method

that's true I guess. kind of like the old saying goes "You can't have an omelette without cracking eggs"
big_smile.png

With a cement floor, if the roof leaks, you'll have soggy areas. Soggy areas do mean smells, as well as high humidity. You can toss the wet litter onto the dry stuff, but don't bother putting new litter where you've dug down to the cement until the rain's finished and the coop's had a chance to dry out. That said, when things aren't soggy, DL will work fine on a cement floor.

Guess who'll be climbing up on a ladder tomorrow with something to fix leaks...

With a cement floor, if the roof leaks, you'll have soggy areas. Soggy areas do mean smells, as well as high humidity. You can toss the wet litter onto the dry stuff, but don't bother putting new litter where you've dug down to the cement until the rain's finished and the coop's had a chance to dry out. That said, when things aren't soggy, DL will work fine on a cement floor.

Guess who'll be climbing up on a ladder tomorrow with something to fix leaks...

My whole coop gets soggy at times but no smells...that's where good composting and good ventilation come in.

You're getting chickens...your squeamish days are over.
gig.gif
Bee you're cracking me up again! lol Yep and I totally agree. I don't do bugs either ESPECIALLY COCK ROACHES ughhhh chillls
hide.gif
I DO NOT want those things on me or near me. They are just filthy to me. ughhhh and they are all over the place out there at night time.
sickbyc.gif
This winter I haven't seen any thank goodness so maybe those GOOD bugs are taking care of those to for me.
yesss.gif
one can only hope.
celebrate.gif

Bee you're cracking me up again! lol Yep and I totally agree. I don't do bugs either ESPECIALLY COCK ROACHES ughhhh chillls
hide.gif
I DO NOT want those things on me or near me. They are just filthy to me. ughhhh and they are all over the place out there at night time.
sickbyc.gif
This winter I haven't seen any thank goodness so maybe those GOOD bugs are taking care of those to for me.
yesss.gif
one can only hope.
celebrate.gif

I don't like them either but as long as they are the kind that stay outside, I'm cool with it. Those are more wood roaches than the common house roach and they are attracted to the moisture and grains, I'm thinking. The chickens probably snack on them.

oh yuk!...cockroaches....how gross they are, thank goodness I've never seen one here in Michigan, the only time I ever saw one was in a bar in Spain, I'm sure they have some sort of use but I just can't think of even one!

I don't like them either but as long as they are the kind that stay outside, I'm cool with it. Those are more wood roaches than the common house roach and they are attracted to the moisture and grains, I'm thinking. The chickens probably snack on them.
yep food and moisture.
Bee I FINALLY got that arched tarp over the run. Had to have hubbys help since someone had to hold one end of the PVC pipe. Anyway we got it on there this evening but I really still need 3 more PVC pipes in between so I/we will do that later since we needed some PVC glue to do that part with. Got their trough in place as well and that's going to be sooo nice since its in the middle and wont fill up with water when it rains. Suppose to have bad weather they're saying tonight so I HOPE it's all still there tomorrow.

yep food and moisture.
Bee I FINALLY got that arched tarp over the run. Had to have hubbys help since someone had to hold one end of the PVC pipe. Anyway we got it on there this evening but I really still need 3 more PVC pipes in between so I/we will do that later since we needed some PVC glue to do that part with. Got their trough in place as well and that's going to be sooo nice since its in the middle and wont fill up with water when it rains. Suppose to have bad weather they're saying tonight so I HOPE it's all still there tomorrow.

woot.gif
That's great! Will shed the rain like a duck's back now. You'll be able to live in that coop and run before it's all finished!
gig.gif
Bless your dear husband for being such a good man!

Back
Top Bottom