Deep litter method

If your friend and neighbor are eating eggs, neither are vegetarian or vegan. When did eggs become anything other than animal protein? Or are they just "selective" vegetarians?
hide.gif

Agreed. A Vegetarian can eat eggs but a vegan, by the true definition, cannot consume eggs....if they did, they would no longer be vegan and then would be a vegetarian who eats animal byproducts of eggs and dairy, but no meat.

There is no law around what a vegan or vegetarian is so they are what they say they are. The reason most vegans don't eat eggs is because of how the animals are treated and if the chickens are treated well then most vegans I know have no problem eating eggs. Eggs are much different than meat since the animal is not killed and the egg laying is going to happen regardless of human interaction unless milk for example. My entire family is vegetarian for moral reasons and we're getting chickens so we can stop contributing to the animal abuse that is a commercial farm.

May not be laws, but there are accepted definitions:

Veganism /ˈviːɡənɪzəm/ is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, as well as following an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals. A follower of veganism is known as a vegan.
Distinctions are sometimes made between different categories of veganism. Unlike ovo-lacto vegetarians,

Dietary vegans (or strict vegetarians) refrain from consuming animal products, not only meat but also eggs, dairy products, and other animal-derived substances. The term ethical vegan is often applied to those who not only follow a vegan diet, but extend the vegan philosophy into other areas of their lives, and oppose the use of animals and animal products for any purpose.[4] Another term used is environmental veganism, which refers to the avoidance of animal products on the premise that the harvesting or industrial farming of animals is environmentally damaging and unsustainable.[5]

On the other hand, my grandson's widow is so "vegan" that she objects to using wool, even though the sheep aren't killed to get the wool and it is a kindness to rid them of that wool when the weather warms. My husband makes peanut brittle and Austin loved it when his Grampa would send him a box of it at Christmas. The year Austin and Joy were first married Grampa sent his annual tin of peanut brittle. Austin called when he got it to thank Ken and then said, "Joy wants to try it but she wants to know first if you used real butter when you make it. If you do, she can't eat any of it."

I think the whole debate depends entirely on the how committed to the practice each individual is.

Hesitant to get in on this, but "vegan" is a defined term. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vegan
People may misuse it, but that doesn't mean there's not a definition, as defined in the dictionary.

Vegetarianism has so many subsets that one is a bit more vague.

If I pick up a book for Vegan recipes or check out a blog for Vegans, I would expect zero honey, eggs, or dairy.

There is no law around what a vegan or vegetarian is so they are what they say they are. The reason most vegans don't eat eggs is because of how the animals are treated and if the chickens are treated well then most vegans I know have no problem eating eggs. Eggs are much different than meat since the animal is not killed and the egg laying is going to happen regardless of human interaction unless milk for example. My entire family is vegetarian for moral reasons and we're getting chickens so we can stop contributing to the animal abuse that is a commercial farm.

my daughter and her children are vegetarians they do eat my eggs but the daughter will not eat store eggs, she drinks goat milk other then that nothing comes from animals, it can be a pain. I told my daughter I heard that they should not eat eggs she told me not to tell my granddaughter because she at least gets some thing good for her

I love animals... they taste sooooooooo good! And their byproducts aren't too shabby either!

I have a problem with those who claim they aren't eating meat because of the pain and suffering of the animal, well, sorry, but I have a hard time accepting that from those that wear leather shoes and belts etc. justsayin

Back
Top Bottom