Deep litter method

I have a question: if I plan to do the Deep Litter Method in the coop, is it OK to use leaves? Or are leaves just for the run?

I'm leaning towards using pine shavings with the Deep Litter Method in my coop.

Thanks!
I use everything that mother nature gives me for free !! I have been using Deep Litter for over 5 years in both my coop & old run (where the hens like to go during the winter) Hay (not straw its hollow & can harbor bugs) grass clippings, leaves, weeds, etc. I get free shavings monthly from an add on craigs list. It all breaks down eventually. I also throw in some bird seed once a day or so to encourage them to scratch deeper into the DL.

I always clean out the coop & old run every spring into my garden to be turned under. Last year I took my small rototiller into the coop and rototilled up the floor of the coop. I ended up removing 4 inches of the most beautiful, rich dirt from the previous 4 years of DL that was compacted. :) Just good ole dirt.

I have had hay & damp grass clippings mat down but I turn the DL all winter with a pitch fork to discourage it & prevent mold in the coop. My coop has plenty of ventilation (its made from cattle panels & billboard material) & other than winter the sides are kept up so there is always moisture in the coop. The girls tracking in snow helps during the winter. The only time its been super dry is during the summer but there is very little DL in the coop from spring till fall so a quick spray with the hose rectifies the problem.

My theory about DL is the less work it involves the better for me & the hens. As long as there is ample ventilation there is never any smell. Thats the FIRST thing everyone notices who visits the coop. Even in the winter. @Beekissed is a wealth of knowledge about this

Hello,
I am new to raising chickens.

I have started what I think is the DLM in my brooder. I have 6 chicks about 5 weeks old now and I am suprised by the lack of oder in my home. I use pine shavings a stir it up daily. My brooder is a 40 gallon pond liner. My question is can I take this material and put it in my coop when the chicks are ready to go there?

Tks Mraya

Hello,
I am new to raising chickens.

I have started what I think is the DLM in my brooder. I have 6 chicks about 5 weeks old now and I am suprised by the lack of oder in my home. I use pine shavings a stir it up daily. My brooder is a 40 gallon pond liner. My question is can I take this material and put it in my coop when the chicks are ready to go there?

Tks Mraya

Yes you can. No problem.

Welcome to BYC, I don't know if you have noticed of not, but we (entire site) are going offline shortly (later today) and will be gone probably until the weekend, they are having to move hosts. So just hang in there and we'll be back as soon as they get the new site up and running.

Thank you for the up date I did not know

Mraya

You will still be able to read but not post. They said there will be a few hours completely down and then they will bring it up for read only for probably the rest of the week while they complete the move, but then we will be back up and running as normal.

We just moved into a home that has a tack shed we plan to use as our coop. I've never used the DLM before, I just cleaned the coop as regularly as possible. The problem is this shed has an uneven plywood floor (they patched layers on top, I'm assuming it was to fix holes) and I think regular cleaning will chip at the floor layers too much. So I'm wondering if there could be any problems with the DLM for this sort of floor?

We just moved into a home that has a tack shed we plan to use as our coop. I've never used the DLM before, I just cleaned the coop as regularly as possible. The problem is this shed has an uneven plywood floor (they patched layers on top, I'm assuming it was to fix holes) and I think regular cleaning will chip at the floor layers too much. So I'm wondering if there could be any problems with the DLM for this sort of floor?
A lot of people do DLM on concrete or wood floors. If the floor is raised off the ground (so you don't want it to rot and you fall through) I would put a tarp on it and secure the tarp a little way up the walls to protect the floor from any moisture. We have also had good results with using driveway sealer on the wood floor in our horse trailer to protect the wood from urine and manure that gets under the mats. If the floor is just on the ground, I wouldn't worry about it and just let it rot with the deep litter.
The litter will start a lot faster if you put some compost or dirt in it when you first start it, get the good bugs and bacteria started off.

It truly is possible to use the DML on a hard floor. I didn't think it would be possible but to my satisfaction it is. My coop floors are that inexpensive stick on tile. When spring arrived I shoveled out 5 wheel barrows full of good dirt for my garden from the girls coop alone. I have the process starting again.

So if you do it right, you should be getting dirt, rather than a mix of sawdust and poop? I was under the impression that the litter would still need some composting time after cleaning out.

I didn't use pine shavings or dust. I used leaves which broke down quite readily. Yes, it was more dirt like in appearance. I once tried to post a video of it at one point under my page but for whatever reason it wouldn't take it. I might still have it and will try to post again.

Back
Top Bottom