Deep litter method

So I just poked around the shed and discovered that although the floor is in bad shape there is a nice cement foundation with dirt floor below! We're going to start work on it this weekend so I'll post pictures of whatever get-up we end up constructing. Thanks for the tips!

So if you do it right, you should be getting dirt, rather than a mix of sawdust and poop? I was under the impression that the litter would still need some composting time after cleaning out.
Deep litter needs some moisture to work correctly, if you keep it bone dry it won't compost, but if when you clean waterers you dump the dirty water in the deep litter it will give that spot a nice jump start. Just pick a different place to dump it each time so no place gets soaked but it all stays a little moist under the surface.

Very informative thread. I have a tractor coop that sits on a cement patio. So the upstairs, the coop, has the door in the floor to go down to the small fun below.
There are two low roosting bars with a clean out drawer below, 3 nesting boxes and one the opposite side just some square footage to mile around in and the doorway down stairs.
My question is; since the door to leave the coop is in the floor, do you think I could try to do the deep litter method if I could figure out a way to create a lip around the flip up door??

Very informative thread. I have a tractor coop that sits on a cement patio. So the upstairs, the coop, has the door in the floor to go down to the small fun below.
There are two low roosting bars with a clean out drawer below, 3 nesting boxes and one the opposite side just some square footage to mile around in and the doorway down stairs.
My question is; since the door to leave the coop is in the floor, do you think I could try to do the deep litter method if I could figure out a way to create a lip around the flip up door??
You might be able to, but, how tall is this area, most that I have seen are only a few feet tall and putting 6 inches of bedding in there would seriously reduce the head room. If you have enough room (height) to do it, there wouldn't be any harm in trying.

You might be able to, but, how tall is this area, most that I have seen are only a few feet tall and putting 6 inches of bedding in there would seriously reduce the head room. If you have enough room (height) to do it, there wouldn't be any harm in trying.
Maybe I could do a mini version of deep litter, by changing it all out a few times a year versus once a year.
I think there is about 2 1/2- 3 feet of height in there. I'll measure to be sure.

How much DE do you use? We are building a coop and want to do the deep litter method the coop will be 4x4 with a run(will have 3-4 chicks)
Then question about a poop board do we need one or can I just Distribute the poop in the litter or will it be to much and needs to go in the compost?
Hello Chris,
I use the deep litter method also. I'm only into my 2nd year but i'm sold on this. My coop is 8x10 and I use wood shaving also. I actually clean my coop out one a year and do it in the late fall early winter. I add the litter to my compost bins and let them cook over the winter months with the other compost. This is great stuff to put in the garden. I'm starting to believe it's breaking up the clay and improving it. I am also one of the ones who throws a scratch on the floor and let the girls do the work for me, and they do a superb job. If you keep everything dry you don't have the ammonia problem and i've seen the girls getting down and dust bathing in the stuff. I use DE in the mix so when they dust bath they are really helping themselves out. This year I probaly cleaned out a 5-8 inch layer of shaving. I didn't do the bleach solution last year. I'm curious as to why you do this?

Norm in Vallejo, CA:D
ou

How much DE do you use? We are building a coop and want to do the deep litter method the coop will be 4x4 with a run(will have 3-4 chicks)
Then question about a poop board do we need one or can I just Distribute the poop in the litter or will it be to much and needs to go in the compost?

ou
Oh and do you keep your water inside the coop or outside? Still debating on that. Don't want it to create Moisturizer in the coop, but conserned about our chickens having water during the winter if they are not willing to go out into the run for it

I never put DE in my deep litter...kills the good soil bugs.

I keep water in the run and the chickens will go out for it. Granted, I live in TX so they never have serious weather to contend with, but I think chickens will go out in the snow for water. You will need to keep it from freezing in that case.

Maybe I could do a mini version of deep litter, by changing it all out a few times a year versus once a year.
I think there is about 2 1/2- 3 feet of height in there. I'll measure to be sure.

With deep litter, typically you wouldn't "change it out" at all.

You would remove some of the finished, composted litter for use in your garden/flower containers, but never completely remove all of it. That's the beauty of DLM. NO or VERY LITTLE work, no flies, no "nasty chicken" smell, no "moonscape" or muddy chickens. But the litter gets piled up against the fence - ideally more than 6". I have yet to do more than about 8" - and they are able to pack it down very quickly!

"Stuff" for the chickens to "play" in (keeping them busy looking for bugs, new "treats") so they don't get bored. You can dump your yard waste into the center of the coop or the run and they will do the work of spreading it out for you - usually doesn't take them but a short time to do what take me up to an hour or more to do.

Now if I could only teach them how to collect the stuff we put in their coops & runs!

Back
Top Bottom