Deep red Mahogany Chick ?!?

TsaLaGi Acres

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
We just got the last of our 'replacement' chicks from Ideal, they are all supposed to be assorted Bantams and I think they are but there is one that has me thrown completely off.
It's a little dark red/ mahogany color all over with 2 black stripes down it's back, little deep red tip on it's beak. It has smooth yellow legs and 4 toes.
I know how hard it is to come up with a breed without seeing the chick so I'm going to try and get a pic' up soon, but any ideas?
I know first thought was RIR but it's red ALL over and bantam sized...
PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0008-4.jpg

We also have another chick that looks well I dont even know how to explain it lol I'll just post a pic of it... should have pic's up in just a bit...
DSC00103.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

It looks like it's got a buzz cut...just tiny bristles and no down on it's head...
DSC00097.jpg

It's SO ugly that it's cute!! I just cannot figure out what breed it is or might be ..or even a chicken for that matter..Love this last pic' tho'
DSC00091.jpg

I'll add pic's as I get them uploaded

Last edited:
Any ideas on what breed these lil bantams are??
I'm sorry the pictures are not as good as they should be we were having camera problems

Based solely on the leg color, I would think an EE. Yes, RIR can come in bantams. IF the second chick pictures weren't so washed out from the flash it would be easier to say.

Quote:
Every standard has a banty version, but not all banties have a standard.

CAn't tell the brown, but the other looks like an EE possibly. Could be wrong with no muffs.

idk about #2, but, #1 is def. a bantam RIR, these are mine when they were chicks.
roo
27597_new_chicks_080.jpg

27597_new_chicks_081.jpg

hen
27597_new_chicks_076.jpg

27597_new_chicks_078.jpg

idk if the stripes on their back means it is a roo, but, all of mine that have had stripes end up being roos, but, some that didn't have stripes ended up being roos...
idunno.gif

Quote:
See the color of yours...this one is a deep Mahogany all over, no lighter chest or back end even, thats what has drawn me away from RIR it has absolutely no yellow or light color to it that is what has me thrown. I wish this camera would take better pic's so you could see the accurate true colors.

The last lil' chick has a head that looks like a vulture ya know how they have that off color and it's not got but short covering in 'fuz' for lack of better term... I've just never seen a chick who's head was like this ones...
I'd love for it to be an EE that would be so awsome!!

I had to fix the word 'fuz' sorry all

Last edited:
My guess would be some sort of modern or old english game bantam. I took a look on Ideal's site to see which bantam varieties they offered, and that is the closest I could come up with. Exactly which one it is is anyone's guess, but at least it gives a direction to look anyway.

Back
Top Bottom