Deep wound in my chicken.

mrhoodie

Songster
7 Years
Aug 26, 2016
California
Does anyone know what the best type of antibiotic is for a chicken with a very deep wound in her back. My dog got a hold of one of my very young hens, she really should be dead (by the look of her injuries), but she’s staying alive so I’m going to try to treat her. Her little delicate skin just broke open and you can see all the way into her organs. But she is still eating drinking and sitting upright, and looks bright. I just need to get her started on something ASAP so she doesn’t become septic. Any suggestions???

Does anyone know what the best type of antibiotic is for a chicken with a very deep wound in her back. My dog got a hold of one of my very young hens, she really should be dead (by the look of her injuries), but she’s staying alive so I’m going to try to treat her. Her little delicate skin just broke open and you can see all the way into her organs. But she is still eating drinking and sitting upright, and looks bright. I just need to get her started on something ASAP so she doesn’t become septic. Any suggestions???
I also put betadine on the wound and wrapped it with bandages and vet wrap. I’m also looking for a safe spray on skin barrier

Sorry about your chicken. Could you post any pictures of the wound? Deep wounds in the back can be dangerous because the lungs are located near the back. There are air sacs throughout the body as well that can be punctured. You might find amoxicillin (FishMox) on the shelves at some feed strores or TSC, but most antibiotics would come from a vet. I would use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on the wounds and leave it open to air. Then place her on a clean towel for bedding. If a vet is possible, I would take her in.

Sorry about your chicken. Could you post any pictures of the wound? Deep wounds in the back can be dangerous because the lungs are located near the back. There are air sacs throughout the body as well that can be punctured. You might find amoxicillin (FishMox) on the shelves at some feed strores or TSC, but most antibiotics would come from a vet. I would use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on the wounds and leave it open to air. Then place her on a clean towel for bedding. If a vet is possible, I would take her in.
I am going to clean her wound in just a minute. I can see her lungs and her liver. I called three different vets and none of them were available until Monday. I got Vetericyn poultry spray, sterile saline wound wash, sterile gauze pads nonstick, and some vet wrap, I will also put some betadine on the gauze pad.

I am going to clean her wound in just a minute. I can see her lungs and her liver. I called three different vets and none of them were available until Monday. I got Vetericyn poultry spray, sterile saline wound wash, sterile gauze pads nonstick, and some vet wrap, I will also put some betadine on the gauze pad.

Attachments

• 42406D56-77F1-4D1B-87D2-B6E75D469350.jpeg
    42406D56-77F1-4D1B-87D2-B6E75D469350.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 24
  • B59C21B7-FB3F-4288-8FB5-7E98687F1B3B.jpeg
    B59C21B7-FB3F-4288-8FB5-7E98687F1B3B.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 505C1F25-24A2-468C-97AD-576957157A2E.jpeg
    505C1F25-24A2-468C-97AD-576957157A2E.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 8C5DC0D2-6D71-4E9F-B3D1-0DEAA49268C4.jpeg
    8C5DC0D2-6D71-4E9F-B3D1-0DEAA49268C4.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 16
So the wound is on her abdomen, not on her back? Is the first picture of her back? The Betadine says on the label to not spray on mucuous membranes, so it might need to be diluted a little. Keep her wounds moist with the saline and betadine or neosporin. If her liver is showing, her abdominal wall sounds open, and she could suffer from peritonitis. If she appears ro be suffering, it might be best to put her down, because if gets peritonitis, it will be very painful.

It is on her back, not on her abdomen. It is a iodine wound spray Similar to betadine. She has not shown any sign of suffering as of yet. So as long as she’s bright, eating, drinking, and her wound is not obviously oozing or infected, I will continue to treat her .

Back
Top Bottom