Deer Depopulation Methods

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm a vet student in the Northeast, and suffice to say we have quite a large population of deer in our area. I was recently involved in a class regarding methods to control deer population and even more recently became aware of a group of people who almost seem to think of the deer as their pets, and are against almost every form of control mentioned to them. Some of the people involved in this group are incredibly difficult to talk to in a productive manner and I think that's sad because I'm sure these people may have good ideas they could share, or even be interested in helping to implement them.

So I was curious to see what the people of BYC thought. I hope this conversation can remain civil and I would love to hear different sides and maybe even what your towns do about deer.

A little background on the area I go to school in:

Its a very strange area, as we have lots of farms, but interspersed in these rural areas are some very suburban populated and even upscale neighborhoods. The campus has implemented a few methods to control deer in the very immediate area, but as you can imagine, it is not easy.

One of their trial methods was spaying the female deer, since does tend to stay in a very confined homerange, whereas bucks tend to travel over many miles to mate with does. They were actually able to spay a very high number of the deer, but initially there was an increase in the deer population, as the females could no longer give the signal that they were pregnant, but they still ovulated. (I think tubal ligations were done) And incredible number of bucks migrated to the area to try and mate with these females, and in turn this stressed out the females. Now it seems the population is slowly starting to decline, but it is estimated we will not see a dramatic change until about 15-20 years from now. There were no restrictions on the hunting of these deer. The school only asked that you return the radio collars and report the death of that deer. This seems to be working ok, but as you can imagine, the cost of this was astronomical. With each deer you spayed, it was more and more difficult to catch the remaining ones. So that required more time and more man-power.

Another method has been the capture and euthanasia by captive bolt gun. Despite increased hunting season and less restrictions placed on the number of deer a hunter can harvest, it is just not enough. So the school has been catching what they can and putting them down. I'm not sure who is familiar with captive bolt, but it is similar to using a regular gun (which is one of the most humane ways IMO to euthanize an animal if done correctly. The only difference is that a captive bolt is contained within the chamber and is safe to use in populated areas. It is used in almost every slaughterhouse in the US and is commonly used by large animal practitioners to euthanize horses, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, etc. It's not a pretty thing to see, but it is quick, safe, and less stressful for the animal. The problem with chemical euthanasia in these larger animals is that any animal that may potentially prey on the carcass will also be killed. There have been issues where many people were sued when endangered birds fed on the carcass of chemically euthanized animals. The other issue is that finding a vein is not always easy OR quick. This can stress an animal out even more.

A third method that has been suggested is contraception called PZP. It is an injection that is effective, but only for two years. You still have the problem of females ovulating and attracting bucks. You also still have to initially capture the does to tag and start records. Then you need people both trained to use dart guns (which I can say from experience is NOT easy, as hunters may also attest to! You only get one shot and it has to be correctly placed) and people to go out and find these deer. Once again, the more you do, the harder it is to find the remaining deer. (The use of radio collars helps, but it another expense) Then you have to repeat this every two years. In a popularly cited paper showing the results of this method (I can find it if anyone is interested), this method DOES show a 50% decrease in deer population over five years, but this is in a fenced population. In actual deer populations, you often have new deer migrating for new territory.

I do think hunting regulations could be changed to make it more effective. I think the major problem is that hunters just cannot use that many deer, and many of the hunters I've spoken to do not want a deer to go to waste. I think changing regulations so that the meat could be potentially sold or donated would make a huge difference (Thought I realize there are disease concerns since deer are not regulated or "owned") I also think hunting is important as almost all of the money from hunting licenses go towards the conservation of wildlife. We have some awesome hunters around here and they get such a bad rap from people who just judge and don't bother to ask questions.

So I'm just curious to see what your thoughts are and maybe what you personally do or your town does. A big problem with this area is that they deer like to hide in residential areas where guns cannot be set off. Thus the captive bolt method.

Hunting regulations allowing does or even two does would greatly reduce numbers. The concern with donated meat is how it was handled prior to donation. If one truly wanted to decrease numbers and feed the less fortunate as a bonus then there could be a program where game wardens are allowed to cull the herd. Yes, a controlled hunting season at a different time of year conducted by game wardens where the culls would be butchered promptly and properly for food shelf and elderly homes.

You didn't explain WHY the deer are a problem? Are they eating unfenced greens? Are fast, reckless drivers running into them on roads?

I live in a rural area of Georgia where there are LOTS of deer. Have to be careful driving the three miles to the highway as deer frequently cross in front of the car.

Deer season is a VERY big thing out here so that no doubt does a lot to keep the population under control (most all of the land around me is leased hunting land, I personally do not hunt but just about all the men around here do). I know avid hunters that belong to year round hunting clubs (only part of the year allows deer hunting of course) and some of them haven't taken a deer in years because they didn't have the opportunity too.

We also have coyotes and bobcats so they surely prey on the young deer. And yes during hunting season sometimes you see deer calmly feeding in the yards near town where hunting is NOT allowed. Pretty funny actually.

I personally think capturing them and then using a bolt gun is far less humane than hunting with good aim and taking them with one shot. I hope they are at least hit with an anesthetic dart so they aren't aware of what is happening, preferably something to knock them out along with a heavy dose of valium or another drug that will make them feel calm and relaxed.

Last edited:
Hunting regulations allowing does or even two does would greatly reduce numbers. The concern with donated meat is how it was handled prior to donation. If one truly wanted to decrease numbers and feed the less fortunate as a bonus then there could be a program where game wardens are allowed to cull the herd. Yes, a controlled hunting season at a different time of year conducted by game wardens where the culls would be butchered promptly and properly for food shelf and elderly homes.

I definitely agree with you.

The college has a special program with quite a few eligible hunters for an extended hunting season in which hunters can take several deer per day. (I think it's five per day, but don't quote me on that) So if they wanted to, they could take over 300 deer during the season. The problem is that there is little one can do with that much meat, even if you have large freezers! So it is rare any of these hunters take that much. Surprisingly, this extended hunting season hasn't had much of an impact on the deer population, and I know they are trying to do research on why this is.

Last edited:

You didn't explain WHY the deer are a problem? Are they eating unfenced greens? Are fast, reckless drivers running into them on roads?

I live in a rural area of Georgia where there are LOTS of deer. Have to be careful driving the three miles to the highway as deer frequently cross in front of the car.

Deer season is a VERY big thing out here so that no doubt does a lot to keep the population under control (most all of the land around me is leased hunting land, I personally do not hunt but just about all the men around here do). I know avid hunters that belong to year round hunting clubs (only part of the year allows deer hunting of course) and some of them haven't taken a deer in years because they didn't have the opportunity too.

We also have coyotes and bobcats so they surely prey on the young deer.  And yes during hunting season sometimes you see deer calmly feeding in the yards near town where hunting is NOT allowed. Pretty funny actually.

I personally think capturing them and then using a bolt gun is far less humane than hunting with good aim and taking them with one shot.  I hope they are at least hit with an anesthetic dart so they aren't aware of what is happening, preferably something to knock them out along with a heavy dose of valium or another drug that will make them feel calm and relaxed.

They are a problem for many reason, but I know eating crops, gardens, and ornamental flowers is a big one. Motor vehicle accidents is another. They've also irreversibly damaged forests by stripping trees and eating the seedlings. This underbrush has now become dense thickets of briars and ferns, which seem to be the only things the deer won't eat. This has severely affected many other wild animals that rely on these habitats to survive. The other issue is with disease. Some people will say there is not a deer overpopulation problem, but we are seeing CWD (chronic wasting disease, similar to mad cow disease and scrapie), as well as an increase in rabies and lymes disease.

I definitely agree that a well place shot by a hunter is much more humane. Trapping any animal can be stressful for both parties. I do know that if done right, captive bolt takes a shorter time to work than most sedatives. So even though the deer will be calm for the actual captive bolt, it will be stressed for longer until the drug begins to work.

I think the major problem with darting is that it is just not easy. There are also not that many people adept at it. Dart rifles are nice, but there are not a ton of them available and they are very expensive. The general method for wildlife at close range is blow darts or pneumatic hand held guns, both of which take a tremendous amount of skill to use. You also still run the risk of shooting the dart in the wrong place and killing the deer in an even worse way.

There is no easy answer I think. It would be nice if there were more funding for studies on these various things, but unfortunately, there is just very little money out there available for wildlife researchers.

Last edited:
I have found controlled burns to the underbrush in the woods as a good way to keep them away, doe especially like the thick forest underbrush. Fences have never worked for me, they always get through and for your purpose is really un economical. I took two deer this year im thankful for my meat but it was exhausting i self process and no man wants to skin 300 deer or pay the processing fee on that many in one season. I have had luck with red eye lights, but they have to be moved weekly to trick the deer.

The dart gun method sounds very time consuming and expensive. Good luck with your deer problem, all my methods have worked well for me...... But some change the natural layout of the land and then you will have more activists. Please let us know if you break any ground on this

I have had deer eat my property bare on Long Island before I moved. I learned to plant only what they wouldn't eat. That's something that needs study on your area because in different areas, deer might eat something on that list. But I did end up winning that game!..The rest had electric shock fence around it.

What happened to their natural predators? What about major culls where the deer carcass are then donated to preserves, animal shelters, veterinary schools, and zoos to go as food to other animals or to be used in scientific research and educational purposes?

Interesting info.
About 3-4 years ago, deer would be in my yard at least 1 day a week. Middle of the day. Doe and fawn. Or a doe or two.
Then my chicken coop was built near where I used to see the deer, and for the past 2 years I haven't seen a single one or even evidence that they had been around (used to be evidence like chewed tree leaves or tracks in the garden). Rye grass that they used to go eat still gets planted but they don't come around anymore. Could it be that simple? I wonder if adding the chicken coop and run is keeping the deer away ??? Or has disease thinned them out? I'd sure like to know. They were a minor nuisance to me but I enjoyed seeing them as long as they didn't run out in front of my car! I'm interested to see if they'll show up again this year.
I live out in the country - acres and acres of trees and brush all around. So I'm surprised I haven't seen any for 2 years.

The main predators are gone. Wolves and mountain lions are rare in the unpopulated areas. If one DOES manage to wander into a neighborhood you would think the world was ending!

We humans have disrupted the natural chain for the deer. Now it is up to us to "fix" it. Personally I would LOVE to have some venison but I myself don't hunt (yet).

I also think the movie Bambi didn't help much. Awww MOM the mean nasty hunter killed Bambi's Mom!!!!! WAH!

I personally have no problem with a true hunter. A person who is out there to bring home the most natural meat available. Now a trophy hunter is a whole other story since that type ticks me off! I personally would find the carcasses of deer that didn't meat the "trophy status" for a full head mount but would take the top of the skull and rack.......... Grrrrrrrr..... It was also a trophy hunter that SHOT at me when I was a kid riding my quad on land that belonged to MY family. We didn't allow outsiders on the land due to "US" kids. So we had several large racks on the harvested fields. That quad had the hole in the fender until it was finally sold 10 years later. Yes the idiot went to jail but after listening to the "But they have the BEST trophy deer here and I got permission".....

There needs to be culling allowed and there has to be a way to use the meat rather than it going to waste. So many states have deer herds with sicknesses due to the overpopulation.

Back
Top Bottom