Deer fencing to keep out foxes

Hadynt

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
Uk
Hi All,

not sure if this should go in this section or the coop design section but oh well! We have recently moved to a new place with a lot more space and plan to fence of around 1/2 an acre for our poultry. We are backing onto woodland so expect to get foxes, badgers etc so want them to be protected during the day.

I was wondering if deer fencing would provide enough protection? I was looking at this fencing :

https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/deer-fence-stock-fencing-mesh-l2320015-2m-50m-p-1119

Which has narrower spacing at the bottom of the fencing getting bigger:
10no. (50mm x 150mm) apertures at the base
10no. (100m x 150mm) apertures in the middle
3no. (150mm x 150mm) apertures at the top

I assume this would work as it is too small for a fox to get through at the bottom, tall enough to prevent them going over and they would not be able to climb through the larger openings at the top?

We are in the UK
Thoughts?

Hi All,

not sure if this should go in this section or the coop design section but oh well! We have recently moved to a new place with a lot more space and plan to fence of around 1/2 an acre for our poultry. We are backing onto woodland so expect to get foxes, badgers etc so want them to be protected during the day.

I was wondering if deer fencing would provide enough protection? I was looking at this fencing :

https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/deer-fence-stock-fencing-mesh-l2320015-2m-50m-p-1119

Which has narrower spacing at the bottom of the fencing getting bigger:
10no. (50mm x 150mm) apertures at the base
10no. (100m x 150mm) apertures in the middle
3no. (150mm x 150mm) apertures at the top

I assume this would work as it is too small for a fox to get through at the bottom, tall enough to prevent them going over and they would not be able to climb through the larger openings at the top?

We are in the UK
Thoughts?
A fox could easily slip right through that.
I would use poultry netting.
I enclosed about 1/3 of an acre with 3 rolls of 164' long, 40" high poultry netting and power it with a 10,000 volt charger. Nothing has ever gotten a bird while inside this pen.

I used something very much like this:
https://www.electricfence-online.co.uk/poultry-netting-112-cm-50-m-double-pin-green.html

Last edited:
I suggest you do an internet search on "fox climbing fence". You might be surprised at what you find.

Foxes have three ways to get in: under the fence, through the fence, and over the fence. They are extremely challenging to keep out. Fencing in an area that big can be very expensive if you depend on fencing to keep them out. They don't need much room to push under a fence on uneven ground, let alone dig under it. Through a fence could include gates and such, not just holes in the fence. And over includes jumping and climbing as you can see in those videos.

If you are allowed, electricity is the best way I know of to keep a fox out. Dogs are often a risk too. Electric netting is one possibility, a metal mesh fence with the openings small enough to keep chickens in is another. With this you use the metal mesh fence as your ground and run insulated horizontal hot wires to supply the shock.

While many critters can dig under a fence or jump over it, they typically check the fence out first. That's pretty much with their nose or mouth. Once they get bitten they run away and stay away. They want nothing to do with that fence because it shocked them. Electric fencing or netting is extremely efficient when it is set up correctly.

Back
Top Bottom