Deer poop as fertillizer - ?

chickbea

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Vermont
I don't know where the place to post this would be, but here goes...

Due to the heavy snowfall this year, I have had many deer in my yard this winter. I've been out doing my spring raking, and the lawn is COVERED with deer doodles; I've never seen anything like it! Due to their size, they don't rake up very easily either. I finally gave up, consoling myself with the thought that maybe deer doodie makes a good grass fertilizer. What do you think?

...and what about the Ph? They are especially abundant under my evergreens, of course (which the deer have munched down to little nubs...
he.gif

I don't see why you couldn't let it be fertilizer for your lawn and non-edible gardens. However, I would draw the line at not using it in edible gardens simply because we don't really know what organisms the deer might carry - and if it hasn't been composted (which generates heat to kill nasties) then I would simply let it rot naturally on the lawn and other non-edible gardens. It should be as good a fertilizer for lawns as maybe horse manure since they eat similar things. Just my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom