Deer Recipes Anyone?

BeckyLa

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
N. Louisiana
I have been offered some deer meat but I have no idea what to do with it if I accept. I tried bbqing some steaks early this year, but didn't like the flavor. Dh and I cannot eat chili so that's out. So many people love venison so I know it has to be good if I could only learn how to cook it.

Help please???

Last edited:
I like to make it into stew...put it in the crockpot, then tear it apart and add potatoes, carrots, whatever. It's also good marinated in Dale's seasoning and grilled. You can also cut it up and fry it. Yummy!

I chicken fry abunch...also cut into thin strips cooked fast in a little oil and then add a bunch of veggies and a packet of stir-fry seasoning instant Chinese...cut the meat a tad thicker and use fiesta fajita seasoning throw in some onions and peppers bam you have fajitas...then ground is always better than hamburger from the store...makes great stuffed peppers...in other words treat it like real lean beef

I generally just brown it like ground beef/chuck, then dump it all into a big pot, add a bunch of water, then sprinkle flour in to thicken it up. You can make chicken legs this way too, but boiling them in the pot of water and skip the pan. You can also cube your venison and boil it to make gravy that way as well.

I make a quick stew for nights when I have a late start to dinner. I brown 1lb ground venison. 1 lb ground beef together with a whole chopped onion. When brown I add water. While that is cooking I peel some potatoes and cut them into cubes. I put them in the microwave in water and alittle salt for 10 minutes. Once they are done I drain them and put them into the pot with the meat. I add a 1 lb bad of frozen mixed vegtables and cook until veggies are done. Salt and Pepper to taste. Thicken it with alittle cornstarch and serve. You can make a big pot of stew in less than 1/2 hour They will be scrapping the pot. My guys love it with fresh bread warm.

one thing about grilling venison(or reindeer, as my 2 1/2 YO loves to call it) is that it will dry out rather quickly compared to, say, feed lot beef(vs grassfed)- it is way leaner than most beef, so you need to cook it for a shorter time. also maybe put a tray of water under the grill first.

OTOH, I love venison jerky.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom