Deer Road Kill

Fowl_Odor002

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Here
I picked up a dead deer on my way to work this morning. Fresh road kill. Must have been killed right before dawn. Nice big buck. I took it to my dad's house. He's retired.

Then I showed up 30 minutes late for work. I walked in and said to my boss; "Traffic, dead deer - you know how that goes"

Good that you picked it up. Just before Thanksgiving someone hit a huge buck and it died in our field by the road. Some genius cut it's head off and left the exposed remainder facing the road--I was so mad!
somad.gif
I'm an animal lover and it was a graphic and barbaric sight. Not only were they trespassing on what was clearly marked Posted property, the jerks didn't even have the decency to pull the animal out of sight.

I see it every now and again, usually in the winter time. It's risky business. I have a friend who, when he was 16, scooped up a road kill deer and took it home. Someone got his license plate number and the authorities showed up to his house. His dad, a big hunter, had a bunch of wall mounts that he had gotten himself and some he had bought at garage sales or given to him by friends. Apparently in our state you need some kind of documentation of all your mounts to prove they were not poached.

He didn't have any proof. He got fined for almost all of his wall mounts and I think they took them away from him. It was well into the thousands of dollars. All cause his kid took home a deer someone hit.

Here in Texas it is actually illegal to take roadkill. It is a pretty silly law if you ask me. In my home state of Alaska, road kill moose are butchered for local non profits...lucky non profits.

In the state of IL, you can take roadkill at your own risk. Most of the time, deers were reported because car insurance needing verification.

I see it every now and again, usually in the winter time. It's risky business. I have a friend who, when he was 16, scooped up a road kill deer and took it home. Someone got his license plate number and the authorities showed up to his house. His dad, a big hunter, had a bunch of wall mounts that he had gotten himself and some he had bought at garage sales or given to him by friends. Apparently in our state you need some kind of documentation of all your mounts to prove they were not poached.

He didn't have any proof. He got fined for almost all of his wall mounts and I think they took them away from him. It was well into the thousands of dollars. All cause his kid took home a deer someone hit.

Here in Indiana you must call the police or DNR (department of Natural Resources) and get a tag or permit of some sort to take it home, I have no idea if you must be the one to hit it or not. But even if you are supposed to be the one whom hit it I'm sure the officer sent out might easily let you get the permit and kinda ignore the other part just because you are saving the government from hauling off road kill and you did ask permission to take it. Some police and zoning/inspection people seem to kinda ignore certain details on some things when it doesn't make much difference in the outcome while others stick it to the letter of the law even if it is stupid.

My mom hit a deer once and by the time she calmed down and got out of the car, two guys were already pulled over and gutting it. They had it almost completely done when my mom finally piped in the my stepfather would want it. They were very nice and even helped load it into my stepfather's truck when he arrived.

I believe around here deer is free game. You do have to call if you pick up a bear. We called coming back from the mountains and the trooper said they have to test it but if we wanted, we could have the skin/fur and head after they were done.

Last edited:
My mom hit a deer once and by the time she calmed down and got out of the car, two guys were already pulled over and gutting it. They had it almost completely done when my mom finally piped in the my stepfather would want it. They were very nice and even helped load it into my stepfather's truck when he arrived.

I believe around here deer is free game. You do have to call if you pick up a bear. We called coming back from the mountains and the trooper said they have to test it but if we wanted, we could have the skin/fur and head after they were done.

test it for what rabies?

Back
Top Bottom