Definate double yoker in the incubator! Gonna try to hatch it anyways!

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
I've been seeing a few threads about hatching double yokers, or DY's, and I decided not to hijack a thread, but start my own. When I put the egg in the bator, I didnt know it was a DY, just a really big egg. I think it came from my Barred Rock pullet. She just started laying in the last few weeks, smallish eggs, but this one is really big, so I decided to give it a try since I wanted to see what a cross would look like from her and a bantam roo.

The only roo's I have seen breeding her are my black bantam frizzle, and 2 bantam cochins, 1 is black, the other is white, (poor girl, she's the only hen my Australorp roo will let the little guys pay any attention too!). I thought maybe if the chicks are half bantam, maybe they have a better chance of survival?

Anyhow, I put the egg in on the 21st and I did a quick candling tonight, and thats when I saw the two, very distinct, seperate yolks, with 2 spots with veining! The yolks dont look huge, kinda like one normal one got split into two, but a tiny bit more. I tried to take pics, but couldnt get the camera to co-operate.

So, we are gonna go on this adventure and see what, if any suprises Mother Nature may have in store for us.

Wish me luck!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom