Definately mites

I have found mites and a couple of spider looking guys on the feathers that have fallen off two of 8 of my hens. I found it via a high powered lens my husband uses to view coins. Ok, so I did a diamateous earth dust on my RIR avoiding her face and upwind. But after looking at the black feather, I know I have a problem. Do I dust all of them? I will be changing out the bedding in the boxes of course and on the floor. What do I use? I have read many threads and still not sure.

Oh, and just to add to my drama, I had 4 extra eyes looking at me late yesterday afternoon. One was the mouse I have found evidence of, and the snake I removed. No eggs were taken!!!! I am a little confused about how my girls got these mites. Is it inevitable? or bad housing? or the mouse???? thanks in advance

I have found mites and a couple of spider looking guys on the feathers that have fallen off two of 8 of my hens. I found it via a high powered lens my husband uses to view coins. Ok, so I did a diamateous earth dust on my RIR avoiding her face and upwind. But after looking at the black feather, I know I have a problem. Do I dust all of them? I will be changing out the bedding in the boxes of course and on the floor. What do I use? I have read many threads and still not sure.

Oh, and just to add to my drama, I had 4 extra eyes looking at me late yesterday afternoon. One was the mouse I have found evidence of, and the snake I removed. No eggs were taken!!!! I am a little confused about how my girls got these mites. Is it inevitable? or bad housing? or the mouse???? thanks in advance
Yes, i would dust all of them. if you are able to get liquid product I would also spray the coop.
After months, I finally got rid of mites by spraying like I said and then dunking all the chickens. People say dunking is risky but I made sure to do it during the hottest part of the day on a day with little to no wind. To do that you would use liquid permethrin.

Mites can transfer from wild birds so if there are birds visiting to eat the chicken food that could be what happened.

Yes, i would dust all of them. if you are able to get liquid product I would also spray the coop.
After months, I finally got rid of mites by spraying like I said and then dunking all the chickens. People say dunking is risky but I made sure to do it during the hottest part of the day on a day with little to no wind. To do that you would use liquid permethrin.

Mites can transfer from wild birds so if there are birds visiting to eat the chicken food that could be what happened.
thanks for the reply and information!

Back
Top Bottom