define "Free Range"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by big greg barker, Feb 9, 2009.

1. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Ok, everyone, what is YOUR definition of a free range chicken?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    My definition of free range is always free. I have a flock of games, and they are never confined. They go and do as they please.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    My definition of free range is letting the clucks out of the run to roam around my backyard and peck the insulation off my air condioner hoses, torment the dog, follow me around, etc.

Edited to add: But I shut them up at night, and they stayed in their run on the days I'm not there to monitor them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yup, what he said.

Mine are cooped - too man predators and we work full time.

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    My definition is I open the coop in the am & let the birds fly over the 4' fence and wander around the farm, they go back at dark and I close up the coop in the pm.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

free range = open pop door, chickens have from 1 acre to 100 to go where ever they want, when they want.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Digging through the neighbors mulch [​IMG]

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    ha ha...I was gonna say that...

when they go sit on the neighbors hand rail and look in their kitchen window and crow.

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Locking them up securely at night but they have access to anywhere in the daytime. Mine like my barn the best and run for it as soon as I let them out. I think it's the horse poo! [​IMG]

I do keep mine locked in their large run when I'm not home to supervise (ie: watch for coyotes/fox). But, I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I'm seldom gone.

10. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Free Range means I can sit on my porch and watch them do there thing anywhere they like in the 1 acre fenced in area I have for them. Great stress relief for both me and the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by