Definitely got into some decaying carrots.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RevaVirginia, Sep 6, 2009.

  1. RevaVirginia

    RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    RIR @ 6 months old. Laying on side with one leg seeming not functioning. No signs of trauma. As stated in subject - know that some moldy/runny in the bag carrots were put out in compost just yesterday. This morning things seemed normal. Noon found her in barn on her side. Checked around and found the carrots. Haven't seen poo yet. On the way to store for yogurt to mix with her feed. She's in the bedroom in a sling that lets both feet dangle atm and seems content. Coop is cinder block building with straw over wooden floor. All other birds look fine so far. Don't know how many would have eaten the carrots but if things were like normal most got their beaks in the party.
  2. purpletree23

    purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 15, 2009
    I'm not sure but it could be food poisoning or botulism. If you search botulism you'll find instructions for a flush for the hens digestive system. It's a chicken laxative. There is one that uses salt and another molasses. After you flush out the toxins you have to replace fluids and food.

    I'm not sure it is food poisoning. You be the judge.
  3. threehorses

    threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 20, 2009
    Then you need to do a flush please. Do you have molasses or epsom salts?

    I like the molasses flush personally. But either will work and is necessary either for extreme mold mycotoxins or botulism; same treatment, different followup that can be done for both.
    ---------- from MSUCares -----------------
    Molasses Solution

    Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water

    Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period.

    - or -

    If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with:

    1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water

    Place the solution in the crop of the affected bird. This same amount of solution will treat 5-8 quail or one chicken.

    On molasses, 1 pint = 16 ounces (or we'll say 15 ounces)

    divide that by 5 you'll have just over 3 ounces per 1 gallon of water.
    30 cc's = one ounce, so 90 cc's = 3 ounces.
    Divide that by four, and you'll get 22 cc's per quart waterer.

    1 ounce = 6 teaspoons; thus 3 ounces = 18 teaspoons; since we said a little more than 3 ounces, if we round up to 20 teaspoons it's 20 teaspoons/1 gallon.

    4 quarts to the gallon means 5 teaspoons molasses per quart of water.

    Do this for four hours - she must get the water as her only source of water. Adding some electrolytes to it doesn't hurt, or you can give her electrolyte water afterwards. I mix some yogurt in the water to replace good bacteria as well.

    You must flush out the toxins to heal her. I like the molasses as it's more mild. After the flush, you have to replace her electrolytes to heal her and the yogurt in the water helps. Tomorrow try to get her to eat dampened crumbles with yogurt, some polyvisol vitamins as mold toxins deplete oil vitamins. (3 drops in the beak, the Polyvisol baby vitamin without iron from the vitamin section of drug stores, oddly not the baby section).

    Clean up all her droppings in case it's botulism, though more likely it's from soured food.
  4. RevaVirginia

    RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Thanks indeed you two.

    Threehorses, again thanks, I came across another post of yours by searching botulism and am in process of following that advice which is again what you posted here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by