Definitely guinea spring

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
Our grass is still wondering if it should show itself, but it’s warm, so our guineas have decided that Spring is Here!!! I was unpleasantly made aware of this fact yesterday. First, I heard a single guinea hen buckwheating in the distance. I went to investigate and found Violet “trapped” behind a fence in the neighbor’s yard. Bad Violet! She was the instigator last year in the cross street forays that’s got two cocks killed by cars. So, Violet and six slower to leave guineas got held back in the coop today. Apparently the portion of the flock that I let out decided to be very loud outside our night owl, distance-learning, teen son’s window... I heard about that! I was at work so not much I could do about it.

As for the cocks, they decided to gang up on our original male, Ghost the lavender. Poor Ghost tries to puff up and take on the younger guys but it’s no use. I wonder if coming of age as the only cock diminished his ability to spar and dominate other cocks? I’m also wondering if his five hen harem is finally coming to an end, or if his hens will stick by him like they did last year.

First his son, another lavender named Victor, chased him mercilessly. Then his other son, royal purple Kingpin, got in the act. Ghost kept taking to the trees and the other guys kept pursuing him there. Weird fights on tiny branches! I guess his winter time of just quietly blending with the flock is over. Why are male poultry so darn obnoxious, anyway??? I mean, I have a total female surplus so they didn’t need to beat each other up to get a girl! No chasing yet for last year’s boys who are now about 8 mo old; they just looked confused. I’m worried how the chasing will go for my sole white, Hamlet, who is already so picked on by all of the guineas.

After watching Ghost get chased and battered for awhile, I took this video, then became concerned that Ghost would get hurt. So, I chased the other guys out of the tree, allowing stressed out, panting Ghost to have a little break from guinea cock madness.

Attachments

• 3174F561-1EEB-416A-94AC-8E7C69B37AED.jpeg
    3174F561-1EEB-416A-94AC-8E7C69B37AED.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 16
Our grass is still wondering if it should show itself, but it’s warm, so our guineas have decided that Spring is Here!!! I was unpleasantly made aware of this fact yesterday. First, I heard a single guinea hen buckwheating in the distance. I went to investigate and found Violet “trapped” behind a fence in the neighbor’s yard. Bad Violet! She was the instigator last year in the cross street forays that’s got two cocks killed by cars. So, Violet and six slower to leave guineas got held back in the coop today. Apparently the portion of the flock that I let out decided to be very loud outside our night owl, distance-learning, teen son’s window... I heard about that! I was at work so not much I could do about it.

As for the cocks, they decided to gang up on our original male, Ghost the lavender. Poor Ghost tries to puff up and take on the younger guys but it’s no use. I wonder if coming of age as the only cock diminished his ability to spar and dominate other cocks? I’m also wondering if his five hen harem is finally coming to an end, or if his hens will stick by him like they did last year.

First his son, another lavender named Victor, chased him mercilessly. Then his other son, royal purple Kingpin, got in the act. Ghost kept taking to the trees and the other guys kept pursuing him there. Weird fights on tiny branches! I guess his winter time of just quietly blending with the flock is over. Why are male poultry so darn obnoxious, anyway??? I mean, I have a total female surplus so they didn’t need to beat each other up to get a girl! No chasing yet for last year’s boys who are now about 8 mo old; they just looked confused. I’m worried how the chasing will go for my sole white, Hamlet, who is already so picked on by all of the guineas.

After watching Ghost get chased and battered for awhile, I took this video, then became concerned that Ghost would get hurt. So, I chased the other guys out of the tree, allowing stressed out, panting Ghost to
🤷‍♀️ I was just sitting out w/mine wondering why the boys cont to chase away the twins. But they are definitely getting louder, so was also thinking it's about that time -to start locking the girls up. -and refill the dust bath, bc there's not much dirt in it.
Also debating about a larger lockdown for them. I have an arch- it's 10lx7wx6h..wonder if netting would be enough for a daytime playpen? It's been awhile, but I think it's light enough to move around. I have it for vertical gardening, but if better used for them-

Poor guy.
Mine have started their spring chasing now too. I hope we won’t have any losses this year from fights. Like you I have a female heavy flock. I know 1:1 is the recommended ratio, but maybe since my boys are selfish it will still balance out😂
I like to have a couple more hens than cocks. If they are equal numbers, things get shook up when the dominant males lose their hens to broodiness.

I currently have 8 known hens and 5 known cocks along with one more that is hopefully a male. I have never heard it buckwheat but ...

I like to have a couple more hens than cocks. If they are equal numbers, things get shook up when the dominant males lose their hens to broodiness.

I currently have 8 known hens and 5 known cocks along with one more that is hopefully a male. I have never heard it buckwheat but ...
That is true.
I need to spend some time out with the guineas and get exact counts on who’s who. I do know I have two white females and one white male. And at least one male lavender and one purple male.

Ooooh, pretty babies!!! Will there be babies this year?
I’m hoping so! I already have 2-3 people lined up for keets😁
I’m not intending on hatching any pearls this year unless I get requests for them. I want to focus on the white, lavender, and royal purple.
I think this will be possible because last year it seemed like there is a big enough weight difference between them and the jumbos. But we will see how right I am. Haha.

I am hoping to get a new color or two this year if the person I saw on Craigslist last year is selling keets again.
I have so many colors I’d like to add🙈 I want to go to the Iowa guinea farm. I could make a whole trip out of it. Go see my mom, hit up a koi farm, and finish off with collecting some keets😆

I’m hoping so! I already have 2-3 people lined up for keets😁
I’m not intending on hatching any pearls this year unless I get requests for them. I want to focus on the white, lavender, and royal purple.
I think this will be possible because last year it seemed like there is a big enough weight difference between them and the jumbos. But we will see how right I am. Haha.

I am hoping to get a new color or two this year if the person I saw on Craigslist last year is selling keets again.
I have so many colors I’d like to add🙈 I want to go to the Iowa guinea farm. I could make a whole trip out of it. Go see my mom, hit up a koi farm, and finish off with collecting some keets😆
What colors would you like to add? I was eyeing hatching eggs from the guinea farm, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to add guineas this year...

What colors would you like to add? I was eyeing hatching eggs from the guinea farm, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to add guineas this year...
Coral blue, chocolate, and buff dundotte are my top picks I’d like. But if I could go crazy I’d want slate, pastel, buff, and bronze. Ugh, maybe more... I just need one of each. Lol 😆 Maybe as the pearls age out I’ll add more colors just so I don’t over do it all at once.

Back
Top Bottom