Definition of “at large”

Mama_in_the_Dell

Songster
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Senoia
How would I go about disputing our code enforcements understanding that the following ordnance means they must be caged? He’s fairly new so I do believe this is just a matter of interpretation and hope that I don’t have to keep my girls forever caged. They are contained in my fenced backyard. They do not fly over the fence and have not ever gone on any neighbors’ properties but I was recently told they needed to remain in their pens. Contained on my own property does not seem at large to me. Should I bring up the argument that my dog also roams freely in my backyard and does not seem to be considered at large.

Attachments

• 0E698CDE-F5CE-4663-83D5-ABE2930DBE29.jpeg
    0E698CDE-F5CE-4663-83D5-ABE2930DBE29.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 9
What does the language regarding domestic pets say? Look for a definitions paragraph within the same section of ordinances. If it’s defined there, that is what is meant by “at large.”

Otherwise, if “at large” for dogs means outside your fence, then you could argue the same applies to livestock. That doesn’t mean you would win, but you could make the argument.

What does the language regarding domestic pets say? Look for a definitions paragraph within the same section of ordinances. If it’s defined there, that is what is meant by “at large.”

Otherwise, if “at large” for dogs means outside your fence, then you could argue the same applies to livestock. That doesn’t mean you would win, but you could make the argument.
They do not define at large but it seems to be implied that it means they are not contained in any way.

Attachments

• C805AE16-2FAC-4695-95A0-A4740187B766.jpeg
    C805AE16-2FAC-4695-95A0-A4740187B766.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BF027491-5020-436B-99B5-19FC5E7FC7F2.jpeg
    BF027491-5020-436B-99B5-19FC5E7FC7F2.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 996DB34B-31D0-45BD-BFB6-797CCC4F1C48.jpeg
    996DB34B-31D0-45BD-BFB6-797CCC4F1C48.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 6
"shall keep the dog exclusively on his own premises except..."

So a dog on your own premises is not at large.

And presumably a cow or horse inside a fence is not "at large" either.

So as long as the fence DOES keep your chickens in, I would not think they are at large.

You could ask what makes a suitable enclosure, whether it differs from one species to another (dog, cow, chicken), and ask for documentation of what is required. No-one expects an entire cow pasture to have a roof!

How would I go about disputing our code enforcements understanding that the following ordnance means they must be caged? He’s fairly new so I do believe this is just a matter of interpretation and hope that I don’t have to keep my girls forever caged. They are contained in my fenced backyard. They do not fly over the fence and have not ever gone on any neighbors’ properties but I was recently told they needed to remain in their pens. Contained on my own property does not seem at large to me. Should I bring up the argument that my dog also roams freely in my backyard and does not seem to be considered at large.
That's a reference to your State law. State Law reference— Livestock running at large or straying, O.C.G.A. § 4-3-1 et seq.

Code enforcement is mistaken. If the animal is contained on your property, it is not "at large". if your backyard was not fenced, it would be a closer question.

Additionally, your local zoning may require that poultry be kept in a coop and run, that's not uncommon - i'm on my cell phone and have not searched your Zoning. in which case, the agent simply cited to the wrong portion of the code...

Back
Top Bottom