Deformed birds???

chazen328

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 16, 2012
In March we bought 20 Australorps chicks. We thought we were buying 10 male and 10 female but we ended up with 7 male and 13 female. Of these 20 chicks 5 of them have foot or legs problems. Is that normal? Or did we somehow end up with a "bad batch?" These problems range from toes at ninety degree angles all the way to limps and down right lame/can't walk. Is there a way to fix them? They don't appear to be in or act like they are in pain but I can't be sure and I'm worried. Ideas, suggestions?????

On a side note: The hen with 90 degree toes was in a pen of three pullets that I entered in our county fair and they got Grand Champion! I didn't even notice her toes until after the judging and that's also kind of when I started noticing the other issues.

This can be from problems incubating, or it can be genetic. I wouldn't breed any with a problem. Much of this is correctable if caught when they are young, as I understand it.

I had a roo we called "Crooked Toe;" we never noticed the toe til he was grown, but it didn't bother him, that you could tell. Now I know these things are more common than I thought.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I have a chick named Stumpy, he cant walk. He is an Australorp. I ahve wondered the same thing about the breed. Perhaps its because there isnt much genetic diversity in the area, and yea, sometimes it can come from bad incubation.

Back
Top Bottom