Deformed chick, two bottoms??

Magpie-ah

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
Hey, does anyone know anything about chick deformities, because yesterday we hatched an extremely unusual chick? At a first glance, she appears to be a perfectly ordinary chick, except for the fact that she is now two days old and she still can't stand up completely on her legs. She can move around, but not in the same way as the others. I noticed that she had five toes, however she is a Silkie, so that's normal, but then I saw that she had a really odd bottom. Instead of having just one hole, she had two. The first one was in the normal place and the other one was further down, between her legs. Perhaps this is why she can't walk properly? Has anyone experienced something like this before or is this a first? I'll try and get some pictures to show you better. What are her chances of survival? She defiantly hasn't got splayed leg, but I'm still unsure... All help appreciated, kind regards...

Sometimes if an egg is a double yolk, one of the 'Twins' doesn't develope properly and will cause the chick that does hatch to have extra body parts.

Someone posted pictures of a four legged chick that they hatched in a thread on this site.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom