Deformed Chicken Hatched - Cull or Cure?

AZDesertChicks

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
We hatched our first batch of chicks a couple weeks ago. Out of 25, only 5 hatched. Of the hatchlings, one was stuck in its shell (we're assuming the humidity got too low) and my husband picked it out and hatched it. The chick came out with curled toes but was hobbling around o.k. and we figured the little one would just grow out of it as it got stronger. Well, another week has passed and the little one seems to have a hard time getting around. It eats and drinks just fine, and is growing, but it seems to have spraddle legs now as well as curled toes and now the legs appear to be deformed when we try to stretch them out. We tried to prop it up to build up strength, but it just lays down. We spread out the toes and taped them to cardboard, but when it tries to stand, the legs just spread apart. We tried standing it up in a cup, but it just wants to lay down. We love this little one dearly, and the thought of killing it, just tears us apart. Do we try a rubber band to stop it's little legs from spraddling? Anyone ever work with a little crippled bird like this? I do have pictures of the deformity, but this is my first post and I'm not sure how to attach them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know it's hard, but I would cull myself. If you want to add pics, download them to photobucket, then past the

Back
Top Bottom