Deformed chicks I need to cull.

I've seen some things that discuss how how long it takes the brain to lose consciousness with one method or another. A conscious brain might be one measure of "alive."

I do not know whether that is what @Alkara meant or not.
Based on the half dozen sites I read before posting, it looks like dislocation and decapitation kill the same way - oxygen starvation of the brain.

I just had to cull a 12 hour old chick. I found a great site for other alternatives to snipping off heads with garden clippers. Look under "culling". Making carbon monoxide via baking soda and white vinegar a plastic container within a container. Also, there is a YouTube channel called, Cogs Hill. They have chickens and ducks with deformed wings and they are great egg layers. Unless you are going to use them as breeders you may not have to cull them.
I did see the baking soda method.
The purpose was for breeding so I had no choice at the end of the day I couldn't even give them away, not a great way to start the day

There's nothing wrong with them! I've had chicks born with split wings..often. They fill in later!!
I agree with this post. In my experience this has been the case as well, though probably not all cases end like this.

I agree that the chicks should be advertised for cheap (not free) and given a chance at life on a hobby farm.

I agree with this post. In my experience this has been the case as well, though probably not all cases end like this.

I agree that the chicks should be advertised for cheap (not free) and given a chance at life on a hobby farm.
The OP has culled the chicks. Time to close up the opinions and move on to a different thread. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom