Deformed Egg. Possible Causes? Concerning ?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
A5C8D9D7-C727-40E6-85E1-1ECBCE495E9F.jpeg

BD75AB0B-738D-4D81-BF96-CC837B4C47B2.jpeg

FE5843FB-D1CD-42C9-8213-9734C2F3A3BA.jpeg

so, while I’m not sure who laid it, it could’ve been Tilly, a black sex-link, Yukon or Miss Prissy, black australorps, or Nelly, a barred rock. They are all 24 weeks old now and have been laying for over a few weeks now. Is this just a ‘glitch’ in the egg making matrix or could it be a precursor to some kind of health issue? This is the first time it’s happened. I’d imagine I should definitely be worried if it happens more than once?

View attachment 2340886
View attachment 2340887
View attachment 2340888
so, while I’m not sure who laid it, it could’ve been Tilly, a black sex-link, Yukon or Miss Prissy, black australorps, or Nelly, a barred rock. They are all 24 weeks old now and have been laying for over a few weeks now. Is this just a ‘glitch’ in the egg making matrix or could it be a precursor to some kind of health issue? This is the first time it’s happened. I’d imagine I should definitely be worried if it happens more than once?

Yes.
Hopefully just a glitch.
Could be stress, a wonky shell gland, or a respiratory illness.
i know one of them laid a premature egg ( without a shell ) two different times when they first started laying but im not sure who did that either. i need to set up a trail camera or something in their coop to take pictures when the hens go into the nesting box.

i know one of them laid a premature egg ( without a shell ) two different times when they first started laying but im not sure who did that either.
Softies are pretty common with new layers.

i need to set up a trail camera or something in their coop to take pictures when the hens go into the nesting box.
That might work, 'stalking' is usually needed tho.

Back
Top Bottom