Deformed eggs

keiferlou

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
NE Oklahoma
I searched to see if anyone else had posted about this but didn't find anything. My Gretchen, previously thought to be a Jersey giant but now I don't know what she is other than a chicken, has laid 2 deformed looking eggs. Top picture was last week, bottom picture is today. She usually lays HUGE, brown double yolk eggs. Weird flat spots and the one last week was white. Is she getting scared off the nest while she's trying to lay or something? I haven't cracked either of them so I don't know if they're normal inside or not. I just thought this was really weird. I've never seen an egg like these! What's up with them?

I get deformed eggs sometimes too. It is very common in their first year or so of laying, My hens actually gave us a double yolked egg and it was huge! It's hard to say, since I can't see them. It's either because their egg laying system isn't mature yet, totally normal for young hens, or they do not get the feed that has the proper nutrience. we give our girls layena crumbles as the main food, and in their water we give them just a drop of Oregano essential oil. Those are my explanations, but if you're still unsure, talk to the employees that work at your local feed store. I just started giving the oregano oil, and it seems to help the egg shape and health. It also works as a great de wormer. The worms will abandon ship!
wee.gif
But we're first time chicken owners, but this website has helped me take care of our girls with true answers, not made up rubbish.
celebrate.gif

Good luck!
-Sophia​

Back
Top Bottom