deformed leg

amferro103

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
San Rafael
Just hatched my first batch of chicks 14 days ago. 18 in all.
One chick does have a problem, its leg is deformed and sticks sraight out to the side and is unable to stand except for just a few seconds.
He got around pretty good at first but the last 2 days
the joint has gotten swollen and he doesn't move around much and gets stepped on by the other chicks. He still eats and drinks. My question is, how do these chicks fair down the road? Does he have any future? Any help as to what to do would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

No expert here by no means, but it sounds like spraddle leg. I had two button quail with it, the two day old did not fair well, the 16 day old is showing some improvement, but not great. Try splinting a button quail at any age!!! Here is the link that I got from BYC search, hope it helps. http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html The knee joint on my chick was also swollen, I assume from the bad position it was in and having to "drag" it with him. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Yep. Sounds like spraddle leg. Not a deformity, but an injury that likely happened during the hatching process. Hope you can help the little one get better.
fl.gif

I think it should be best if you kill it. It will probably never become normal.

Thanks for all the help but i think i gave a bad description
of his problem.
The leg is actually bent at a 90 degree angle
at the first joint. He was walking on it, using it as a post, but sadly no more.

I have two chickens like this right now. I tried all the spraddled leg treatments but they did not work. One lives in a cage in the house, she is my house chicken. She cannot stand on her legs but she gets around using her wings. No, she is not like other chickens in many respects, but I try to give her every opportunity to be one. She goes outside a lot, has stuff to peck at and things to occupy her time during the day. The other one gets around great on her one leg and will go outside soon with her friend who protects her and helps her around. I think it is all a matter of what you are willing to do long term. Me, I rescue animals who need additional help and they are my pets, so culling them was not an option. The bottomline is the leg will not heal so it is your call.

I'd put it down. If it can't walk and run around as a chick it more than likely wont develop into a health adult and it will have all sorts of issues. Sorry
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom