Deformed wings

Lynnc1971

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2022
Does this look like Angel Wing? If so is it still fixable? My Sterling Green Egger is 4 weeks old. She also gets stuck on her back and cannot roll over without help. She has a very distinct distress chirp so I know she is stuck on her back and run to her rescue. I'm worried this will happen when she is moved to our outside coop? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220326_175636.jpg
    20220326_175636.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220326_175839.jpg
    20220326_175839.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220326_175615.jpg
    20220326_175615.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220326_175853.jpg
    20220326_175853.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220326_175636.jpg
    20220326_175636.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 8
Do her legs work properly? Other behavior is normal? Can you stretch the wing out? Ducks get angel wing, not chickens. When did this start, was she normal at hatch, or when you got her? Sometimes when they are getting flight feathers they look wonky until they are all in and filled out, but that would not account for the balance issues or her not holding her wings up properly. Does she let them sag for balance, or can she just not hold them normally? With nothing else to go on I would start her on some vitamins in case that is contributing. A super B complex (human ones) half a tablet or capsule daily. You can put in her beak and let her swallow or mix in a bit of moistened feed that she will eat.

Do her legs work properly? Other behavior is normal? Can you stretch the wing out? Ducks get angel wing, not chickens. When did this start, was she normal at hatch, or when you got her? Sometimes when they are getting flight feathers they look wonky until they are all in and filled out, but that would not account for the balance issues or her not holding her wings up properly. Does she let them sag for balance, or can she just not hold them normally? With nothing else to go on I would start her on some vitamins in case that is contributing. A super B complex (human ones) half a tablet or capsule daily. You can put in her beak and let her swallow or mix in a bit of moistened feed that she will eat.
Her legs seem to be okay, she walks and runs okay. She eats and drinks like the others however she is definitely smaller than they are. She looked normal as a chick like the others, I’d say about two weeks she started to look a bit shaggy and her wing feathers looked long however, I thought she would just grow into them . She gets in the dust bath and seems to do that okay. I haven’t seen her stretch her wings like the others and I was afraid to do it for her as this is my first flock and I didn’t want to hurt her. She doesn’t seem to need them for balance really. I’m not sure yet how she ends up on her back and then can’t get back over but I know she cries for help. Poor thing.

Well, I'd supplement the vitamins, see if that helps with her balance, and give her some time to see if the wings look better as she feathers out. If she's smaller than her hatchmates then she may have some issue with absorption of nutrients. Some birds will still have fairly normal lives, but others may just fail to thrive and get weaker, it's very hard to say. Most failure to thrive chicks don't survive long. If she's doing things normally, eating and drinking well, droppings look normal, etc. then I'd just keep an eye on her and do the vitamins. If she continues to have issues then you may at some point have to separate her and she may be special needs for the long haul. As they mature, if the others sense weakness in her then the flock may bully her or attack her. Hopefully not, but something to be aware of and watch for.

Well, I'd supplement the vitamins, see if that helps with her balance, and give her some time to see if the wings look better as she feathers out. If she's smaller than her hatchmates then she may have some issue with absorption of nutrients. Some birds will still have fairly normal lives, but others may just fail to thrive and get weaker, it's very hard to say. Most failure to thrive chicks don't survive long. If she's doing things normally, eating and drinking well, droppings look normal, etc. then I'd just keep an eye on her and do the vitamins. If she continues to have issues then you may at some point have to separate her and she may be special needs for the long haul. As they mature, if the others sense weakness in her then the flock may bully her or attack her. Hopefully not, but something to be aware of and watch for.
Thank you so much for all of your input. So Vitamin B it is, where can I get this and as far as wet food? Is that something pre-made or what can I give it to her in? I don't think I can do the beak thing....

You can get super B complex just about anywhere, drug stores, walmart, grocery stores etc. Anywhere they sell vitamins/supplements. Doesn't have to be labled for chickens, vitamins are vitamins. For moist food you can mix her regular crumbles or pellets with some water to make a mash. If she doesn't eat that you can scramble a little egg, mix in a tiny bit of yogurt to make the supplement stick and sprinkle it on or mix it in that. Most birds like their feed made into mash, and I've rarely had anything but a very sick bird refuse scrambled egg. Some birds like a bit of canned tuna. If the B complex is a tablet then just grind it up first, if it's a capsule just empty it onto the food. The food should be moist so that the supplement sticks to it and she eats it all. You only have to give her a tiny amount of the food, whatever it is, just enough to get the vitamins in her, so use what she will take. The younger the bird the more likely they will be reluctant to try something new.

You can get super B complex just about anywhere, drug stores, walmart, grocery stores etc. Anywhere they sell vitamins/supplements. Doesn't have to be labled for chickens, vitamins are vitamins. For moist food you can mix her regular crumbles or pellets with some water to make a mash. If she doesn't eat that you can scramble a little egg, mix in a tiny bit of yogurt to make the supplement stick and sprinkle it on or mix it in that. Most birds like their feed made into mash, and I've rarely had anything but a very sick bird refuse scrambled egg. Some birds like a bit of canned tuna. If the B complex is a tablet then just grind it up first, if it's a capsule just empty it onto the food. The food should be moist so that the supplement sticks to it and she eats it all. You only have to give her a tiny amount of the food, whatever it is, just enough to get the vitamins in her, so use what she will take. The younger the bird the more likely they will be reluctant to try something new.
Thanks again for all your help. Being a new Chicken mom I want to do the best I can for my girls! Would you clip those flight wings and see if that helps or should I just leave them alone? I just can’t figure out why she can’t flip herself back over? I will start the B complex later today hoping that helps.

I would not clip them. She's very young, see how it goes as she feathers out. Try the B complex and see if you get any improvement. If you can get a video of her when she flips over and tries to right herself that might help to see what's going on. You'll need to post it to another host, like youtube, and then put the link here.

Back
Top Bottom