Deforming confusion?

hkraft00

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
I have had chickens for a year now and just learned I needed to deform twice a year. I feel horrible I didn't know. I found small rice size worm segments in their poo and checked the site for answers. I found the girls have tapeworm. So I used Safeguard (a pea sized dose) for 5 days. After the 5 days I am still seeing the worm segments in their poo. Is this normal? Should I wait a week or 2 and give them a second treatment? Any info would be very much appreciated. I am happy to have found this site. There are so many helpful people. Thank you in advance!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry to hear about your worming troubles. I think part of the problem may be the wormer you are using--from what I've heard, SafeGuard doesn't kill tapeworms. Though more expensive, a better wormer option is Valbazen, which kills all worms.

I just want to clear something else up, too: you don't necessarily need to worm twice a year. It is true that many people worm twice a year, but just as many never worm at all and have no problems. There is no "perfect schedule" for worming. It varies with each flock's individual make-up and environment. In your case, it seems like worming more often is better. For someone else, though, their chickens may only need to be wormed once a year, or even less often.

Good luck fixing your worm problem!

Last edited:
Are the segments being passed showing any signs of life? If they are dead and drying up, it would indicate your wormer killed them. If you I think you should take Bantam lovers advice.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Bantam Lover has given you great advice. I honestly don't know much about worming.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

BantamLover X3 Valbazen will take care of tapes. 1/2 cc once every 3 days for 9 days. So 3 doses every three days. Down the beak. You can mix it with some baby food so it is thicker and does not aspirate the bird.

It is always a good practice to worm your birds at least once a year, especially if you free range. Free rangers are more susceptible to worms that birds kept in runs.

Good luck and I hope you can get this resolved soon.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Bantamlover21 and TwoCrows have given some good advice. My guess is that the worms in the droppings are tapeworm segments, which don't respond to most dewormers. Valbazen should clear it up.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice and the welcome wishes! Giving the name of the product and the dosage has helped me greatly. I will definitely try the Valbazen. Have a great weekend!

Back
Top Bottom