Deformity? Broken? Chick with a bum leg

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
What's up with my 3 week old chick's leg, does anyone know? I've noticed this one's feet before, they seemed large but I didn't notice like I did tonight exactly why
sad.png
She was never splay legged or anything and eats, drinks and gets around okay. It doesn't seem to be painful to her when I was feeling it, her hock joint {if that's what you call it, I'm a horse person sorry lol} is huge in comparison to her good leg. Do you think there's anything I can do to help her out in fixing this, or is it too late or not fixable?

Her good leg, for comparison.

Straight on view.

Thanks Eggcessive, I read the links and other stuff too last night. The end result, from what I've gathered, for chicks with either of these isn't good. I'm not sure what to do with her. I'll be integrating this batch of babies soon into the flock and I'm not sure how this little one will do, and if it's worth putting her through it when she probably won't live long anyways. Sigh.

I decided to have our vet take a look at her, I'll update once we get back. If the vet thinks it's worth trying to fix and not too expensive we'll try. Or if her experienced eye says it's better off to cull, then so be it. I have no problem keeping a handicap chicken, as long as it's not suffering.

It looks more like a slipped tendon from your picture, and many say that is can be helped by putting the tendon back in place and wrapping in vet wrap to splint. Some have had success treating it themselves, but it is one of the hard ones to treat. It is always good to consult with a vet if they know about chickens. Good luck to you.

We're back from the vets, it is a slipped tendon and the vet couldn't get it back in place in order to wrap her leg. I just didn't notice it quick enough and now it's too late
sad.png
Since she's eating, drinking and gets around okay we're going to see how it goes for her. I have no idea what to do with her, I don't see how I can integrate her into the main flock outside. I could build a coop next to the current one and just keep this batch of 7 chicks separate, which I'm not really fond of the idea. Who knows if she'll stay comfortable and mobile enough to even keep me from culling her, but I'll give her the chance. I'm just not sure at this point which direction to go in as far as how these chicks will be moved outside.

I'm sorry that your vet was not successful in fixing her slipped tendon. I have seen others post about this that talk about running your thumbs down the back of the leg to find it, then put it back in place, and wrap it. They do this over and over, and sometimes it's successful. It's hard for me to imagine it from the other's posts since I haven't seen it. You should start a new thread to ask people who have treated it before, how often have they had success, and what worked? Good luck with your chick.

Back
Top Bottom