Degu

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ButtonQuailBoy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    This is my little guy Momo!

[​IMG]

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    What is he?

3. Bebop

Bebop Chillin' With My Peeps

cute! I saw one for sale at a pet store for $25 but for some reason didn't get him!!

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Momo was my bassetts name. What a cute pic is it a chinchilla?

5. ButtonQuailBoy

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    Degu (daygoo) is a type of desert rodent much like a chinchilla...

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    What country are they native to? Are they nocturnal? Is he cuddly? He looks like a cutie.

7. ButtonQuailBoy

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    he is native to deserts I think...He is fast but will cuddle when he wants to...And most importantly I can't keep him...He is a great pet but I have to sell him because he needs 2 different types of food that I normally don't use...

8. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    I have two rescues that actually stay outside in a cage in a barn. They are from the mountains of Chile, therefore they can withstand fairly cold temperatures. They are a lot like guinea pigs in their feed requirements. They cannot produce their own vitamin C, and if you do not provide it, they will get cataracts and diabetes. Both of my girls are blind and I have to carefully monitor their eating, food, and activity level. I give mine all of the hay they want (usually fescue but they're getting timothy right now), and rabbit pellets. Three times per week I will give each of them 1/8 of an orange. I also crush a vitamin C chewable tablet (around $2 for 100 of them from walmart) to put into their water every day. Mine don't like to be picked up or held, but don't mind having their bellies and chins scritched! They vocalize much like guinea pigs, and they will call to you if they want you. Mine will chirp to me when they can hear me. I've raised degus in the past but I decided to get a pair of sugar gliders so I re-homed my degus in same gender pairs. The two that I have now are two of the ones that I re-homed. Unfortunatly the owners got tired of buying an orange every other week for them, grrr... Anyway, if anyone has any questions about them, ask!

Emily in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by