Delaware/Australorp Mixes?

Any unicolored line of chickens will carry in that line several genetic types, but due to the presences of certain other genes one sees the genes exrpessed in a bird of one color. This hides an all black or an all white bird's other genes like barring or lacing.

So it would be next to impossible to know until you hatched some.

My speculation is a either splash mix or blue barred.

Should be ("black") Barred offspring.
Eeb Coco+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ mh+mh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ B- S- Choc+-

Chris

Last edited:
Any unicolored line of chickens will carry in that line several genetic types, but due to the presences of certain other genes one sees the genes exrpessed in a bird of one color. This hides an all black or an all white bird's other genes like barring or lacing.

So it would be next to impossible to know until you hatched some.

My speculation is a either splash mix or blue barred.
Where are they going to get the Splash (Bl/Bl) or Blue (Bl/bl) Gene?

Chris

Ok my bad
hide.gif
. Not truely "Splash" or "Blue" and yes they should have barring...of sorts. Again im and was spectulating. I should have used "spotted" or "speckeled" maybe "mostly white with some barring" or "Lavender Barred". My point was you can have an all black bird because a variety of genotypes still produce all black phenotypes so its hard to say what might happen when you cross any all black or white bird. So you must be speculating to what any one australorp hens genes are too.

Thanks for the links Chris. I have used kippenjungle in the past.. More to the point. Does every all black chicken have the very same genes for "black" or can two chickens appear black and have variation in their genes and we just dont see it?

Thanks for the links Chris. I have used kippenjungle in the past.. More to the point. Does every all black chicken have the very same genes for "black" or can two chickens appear black and have variation in their genes and we just dont see it?

No not all Black chicken have the same genes, they can look Black but be made up differently. The thing we have to take into consideration here is the Barring Gene that the Delaware carries. That gene is going to put some barring onto its offspring.

g Chris g

would they be sex linked ? and would it be better to have a de rooser and a black hens or a del hens and a black rooster .

Back
Top Bottom