Delaware Giant

Yes doing your homework is alway smart. I didn't when I bought from imconclusive. However, they are nice Delawares. Not SOP but nice.

I have also bought from JMCDAN and Freeiibeme. They are a better quality Delaware. We also have excellent Delawares on BYC. If you go to the Delaware site I mentioned you will find some and with people off BYC you get great information and feedback.

I bought 10 Delawares from imconclusive not too long ago... he was late in shipping which led me to a poor hatch. His messages were not very friendly either.

However, out of 10 eggs I ordered, one arrived broken, six hatched and four from the six survived, three were developed but died before hatching. So he had a 90% fertility rate, it would have been 100% im sure if the tenth wasn't broken. I have four really healthy Delaware chicks in my brooder now.

For what its worth, I wouldnt buy from him again. He wasn't a pleasant person to deal with and I got the feeling that I was dealing with multiple people from a hatchery under the guise of one person to make the product sound more home-y.

hope this helps!!
smile.png

Last edited:
He also has many, many negative and neutral feedbacks about broken eggs, fertility issues, and very low hatch rates.. Some say none hatched, others only 2. I wouldn't buy from him (imconclusive). I always check feedback, even if It takes me 15 minutes 2 go through it. It's funny because I was looking at this particluar seller a day or so ago and read all of the feedback. I decided that I would'nt buy from him when the time came.

Quote:
I've paid attention to this seller too. He got the pic off of a NJ hatchery site, so even the pic may not be of his birds, or he owns the hatchery.(which I doubt!) Things like that just seem too fishy for me to get eggs from them. Good stock is sold on Ebay! Buy from "Buythebook" or "jmcdan" if you get them off of Ebay. I got 2 sets of eggs from Ebay myself. One from a seller that apparently has no clue what a real Del looks like, and another from whom I got some beautiful very close to standard birds.

Thank you much for the props!

*buytheebook*

Quote:
I've paid attention to this seller too. He got the pic off of a NJ hatchery site, so even the pic may not be of his birds, or he owns the hatchery.(which I doubt!) Things like that just seem too fishy for me to get eggs from them. Good stock is sold on Ebay! Buy from "Buythebook" or "jmcdan" if you get them off of Ebay. I got 2 sets of eggs from Ebay myself. One from a seller that apparently has no clue what a real Del looks like, and another from whom I got some beautiful very close to standard birds.

*buytheebook*

HAHA!! I actually contacted you last year about some eggs and wound up not getting any due to DH getting laid off!! You were very nice, so props were earned!
wink.png
Good job! Had no idea that was you...LOL!

Quote:

*buytheebook*

HAHA!! I actually contacted you last year about some eggs and wound up not getting any due to DH getting laid off!! You were very nice, so props were earned!
wink.png
Good job! Had no idea that was you...LOL!

Tell him to get a job already!! lol. Just kidding. I got laid off too... two years ago! and nothing much since. Whenever you do want some eggs, just email me... I'll give you a discount for the ad!!

I know this post is late by a few years, but I just bought some "Delaware Giant" eggs from an Ebay seller. The eggs were cheap and I love Delly's anyway so I'll be happy with what I get no matter what. When I told him I would be putting them into my mixed flock this is the info he gave me word for word:

"try to keep at least 2 pure breeding pairs of this highly endangered breed; theres only 250 breeding flocks and about 1000 breeding specimens worldwide; (out of a total pop of around 5000)the idea of distributing the eggs is to help bring this breed back from the brink of extinction; it would be a sin to create barnyard mutts out of these; however because they are a dual purpose breed they could give select triats to your orpingtons over a few generations either enhancing your birds roasting weight or increasing your egg layers; i was considering trying to add a few cornish rock x to the flock for a better meat bird that lays well and lives longer than 8weeks; but only a few if any at all; this breed is just right for both purposes already and in fact this is the very breed the cornish rock x replaced in 1952 when col sanders and frank predue insisted on a bird that grew fast to pump out in the then new fast food franchise; good thing a few crossed the road to get away from them!lol! my flock is the only one on long island;theres one guy upstate ny who has a few but i do not know if they breed; i think the next nearest flock breeding or not is in northcarolina and those would be from my stock as well shuffled in with stock from murrymcmurry whos gets their chicks from florida by a friend of a client who also has a few chicks of mine down there as well; the gene pool of these is pretty shallow and lots of inbreeding is going on; i created this fresh shuffeling of pure genes to give variation to the remaining breeding stock to strengthen the gene pool to ensure this breeds survival; its by far the best backyard bird to have;even without its famous history; so anyway good luck with your endeavors id love to hear what you end up with! good luck! -ANTHONY-"

I saw an ad on eBay for hatching eggs from a breed called - Delaware Giant.    Does anyone here have any experience with these?   Is this a strain of Delaware that gets unusually large?  Is this a Delaware x Jersey Giant or some such?  Or is this a regular Delaware suddenly endowed with a marketing plan - since I read somewhere that there are only 500 or so Delawares still being used for breeding?    I am a bit confused as to what these are - exactly.   I am hoping someone here has experience with them and can shed light on the question.

Delaware is Barred Rock and New Hampshire cross.

We've have had dealings with this jerk as well and yes those are stock photos from another hatchery...we found it. The hatch rate was good (80%) but they are just dells. Is there any truth to what this guy claims about rare breed?...I dont know but ours just hatched and we are happy to welcome them to our mixed flock...hope it drives him crazy to know that...lol

Back
Top Bottom