1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

delaware thread ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinetop, Mar 11, 2013.

1. pinetop

pinetop New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    laurel ms
    i got Delawares from Myers last year and love them thay are laying machine's i have 10 hens and one roo and thay look like the bread standard says thay should my question is i have hatched 15 chicks thay are 6 weeks old i was really looking them over this weekend and noticed some of them have a blue look to there legs not all but some and i know no other roo has been with them all of my chicken's are in different pens by bread is this normal are not thanks for any help

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    No the legs of Delawares will not have a blue tint to them. APA standards call for yellow eggs Here's a great link for you.

Go to the facts and details section:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/delaware#wiki

Hope this helps you. Have a blessed day.

I just saw a typo I meant to say yellow legs, not eggs sorry.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Leg color should always be yellow and only yellow. Pullets may have duller yellow, yet still yellow. Males should have bright yellow legs, orangey as chicks. Leg color in this breed has been an issue with all hatcheries, as have other issues with body type, color, etc. Greenish. or bluish, legs are not something you want to propagate if you are breeding to standard. I'd post a pic of an example of perfect leg color but had a house fire and don't have access to any of my photos. I'm sure I did post a pic of a 6 week old Delaware cockerel on BYC several times as an example of excellent leg color, if you do a search with my name as author.

4. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Speckledhen, I'm so so sorry about your house fire. If it's okay with you, I'll look for some of your pics and post.. Please let me know if there is anything hubby and I can do for you during this time please .

5. speckledhen

Thank you, Nancy, I appreciate that. I'm living in an RV in my driveway at the moment while waiting for demolition of the interior to start and them to either give me the go ahead to buy a new computer or get my cleaned one back to me. I have an extra backup drive with all the stuff on it, so didn't really lose anything, but it's just not accessible at the moment-typing on my DH's laptop, not an easy task for me with this table height, odd keyboard and my carpal tunnel. Keep having to retype or slow down and hunt and peck, not something I ever have to do.

6. bargain

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Here is one of the cockerels from Speckledhen:
    [​IMG]

One of her video's of Isaac - at that time her 3 year old Delaware Roo

http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN5537.mp4

You might enjoy being part of the following thread where there is a lot of discussion regarding Delawares and pictures, etc. it is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/249618/show-off-your-delawares-pic-heavy
    There are a lot of more great pictures and Delaware dialogue here

We love our delawares here and hope that you find this information, the thread and all the information at BYC very helpful! Have a blessed day.

7. speckledhen

Many thanks, Nancy!

8. pinetop

pinetop New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    laurel ms
    thanks for all the info i knew when i saw the odd color in the legs this was not right and will perform a hard cull and try to make them better
    the next few rounds of breding .
    just found a man not to far from me that says his is the old time Delawares and he would be willing to sell some going to look the weekend
    thanks again for the info .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by