Delaware???

Redee79

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2018
texas
Received this “meal maker” freebie chick from a July 26 hatch from McMurray. Usually the MM freebie chick is something I recognize and usually a mid weight bird but this is clearly a heavyweight monster compared to all my other birds and I’m not familiar with the mystery breed because we don’t keep meat birds or bigger dual purpose. I’m thinking it’s a Delaware??? It’s a good deal larger as a pullet than most of my full grown EEs, Marans, and Barnevelders. 🤷‍♀️ Also can anyone confirm it is in fact a pullet? I know he/she is still growing out but the long tail feathers had me spooked as I do not need a cockerel and McMurray has mis-sexed some females for me in the past 😣
Thx!

Attachments

• F23C6AC7-42DC-4F29-BCDE-9F9A3C21C7CF.jpeg
    F23C6AC7-42DC-4F29-BCDE-9F9A3C21C7CF.jpeg
    775.2 KB · Views: 23
  • FE8E8570-8691-40F5-97BD-DD0EF82FEAF3.jpeg
    FE8E8570-8691-40F5-97BD-DD0EF82FEAF3.jpeg
    809 KB · Views: 17
Received this “meal maker” freebie chick from a July 26 hatch from McMurray. Usually the MM freebie chick is something I recognize and usually a mid weight bird but this is clearly a heavyweight monster compared to all my other birds and I’m not familiar with the mystery breed because we don’t keep meat birds or bigger dual purpose. I’m thinking it’s a Delaware??? It’s a good deal larger as a pullet than most of my full grown EEs, Marans, and Barnevelders. 🤷‍♀️ Also can anyone confirm it is in fact a pullet? I know he/she is still growing out but the long tail feathers had me spooked as I do not need a cockerel and McMurray has mis-sexed some females for me in the past 😣
Thx!
He looks mixed. Like a rooster from one breeding pen got in with the hens from another pen.
This guy is giving a new definition to Meal Maker for McMurray.

Thanks for all the input! Yes I was wondering if it weren’t some kind of cross given I couldn’t find any pic matches anywhere. Yeah over the years I’ve started to think these meal makers are often more hassle than they’re worth plus McMurray won’t let you opt out of receiving them in an order, which would be fine if they actually were all hens like they swear they are 😤 This is the third time they’ve done this and it means yet another trip to the feed store to dump a roo 👎 I think I’ll be seeking a new hatchery next spring. Any recs are welcomed!

Back
Top Bottom