Delawares from a hatchery?

smith2

Songster
14 Years
Jan 5, 2008
Paris, TN
Has anyone gotten Delaware pullets that are laying from a hatchery this year? How are they? Where did you order them from and was it a positive experience? I would like to have some but will not buy hatching eggs to be shipped. I only want chicks.
smile.png

The ones I hatched last year came from MM stock-I called them the Vampire Chicks. Nuff said. I have some heritage Delawares that are wonderfully tempered and should have some chicks late winter or early spring, but do not ship. Mine are just over 16 weeks old now. I'm right at the GA/TN/NC juncture, in Ga.

I had what was suppose to be delawares some I bought from a hatchery and some I hatched the eggs I bought off of ebay. Mine started laying 3 months ago laid for about 1 month and all of a sudden stopped never laid another egg. I sold everyone of them. Then I got looking at pictures of delawares and they did not even look like delawares, they looked just like columbian rocks so be careful what ever you buy

I have a whopping ONE Delaware from a Hatchery (Cackle Hatchery) that I believe was mistakenly packed with a meat broiler rooster package. He's now 3+ months old and is ~ twice the size of my grown hens (Wyandottes and Barred Rocks) So... he escaped the "slaughtering" and is now one of my favorite chickens. That said- my experience has been good.
wink.png

Sorry, I'm not doing waiting lists this year. I finally filled a 9 month long list at the beginning of summer and I swore off lists. When mine begin laying, I will offer eggs from time to time on BST. They will be 17 weeks old this week.

Back
Top Bottom