1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delay butchering after killing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Nebraskachickens, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Nebraskachickens

Nebraskachickens New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    A friend at work is asking for a soup chicken. She is asking that I kill it for her. Can the butchering be delayed 24 hours?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You can give the chicken to her whole, but still, you're gonna need to get rid of the guts and all - After a while of sitting in there, the remaining blood pools in spots, the organs get rather gross, and so on. . . I'd say at least pluck or skin the bird and remove the digestive organs.

btw - [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, That !

You will need to clean the bird and get rid of the internal organs immediately..... leave the rest to her..... (cutting up into various parts, etc..)

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I agree, If you kill it, clean it. Set it in the fridge & let it start to tenderize. If you don't want to clean it, kill it when SHE"s ready. [​IMG]

5. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    To me butchering means to cut it up. Slaughter is kill and clean.

I always leave my chickens hanging for a day or two, depending on the weather outside. I find it allows the carcass to rest and tenderise before cooking. You can kill it and clean it and then leave it to hand or leave it in the fridge for a day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by