Delayed egg song?

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
Today I went out to collect my single egg from the only chicken pulling her weight around here.

She was sitting in the nesting box, and I could see that the egg was already there. But she was sitting there, and her vent was pulsating a little, almost like she was going to lay another one.

She sat quietly for about 2 minutes, and then started singing the egg song, loudly. Kept it up as she stood up and walked out of the hen house.

I thought they only made the noise as they were actually laying the egg?

I have several who do not sing The Egg Song (thank goodness) and a couple who sing it afterwards, and one that sings it before....

I don't think they ever really sing it DURING - they're almost in a trance when they're actually laying the egg. (Wouldn't you find it a bit hard to vocalize when passing something that large, relative to your body size?)

Quote:
Nope. Had I no trouble whatsoever vocalizing when I was passing enormous offspring from the body.
lol.png

Ok, good to know that it's a normal phenomenon.

Quote:
Nope. Had I no trouble whatsoever vocalizing when I was passing enormous offspring from the body.
lol.png

Ok, good to know that it's a normal phenomenon.

lau.gif

Princess Chicken, I too have just one chicken laying out of my flock of four, isn't it frustrating? I've been telling all of our friends and family that come fall, I'd have eggs to share. As it is now, we get 5 or 6 a week and have to ration them for ourselves... I refuse to buy store bought eggs anymore:(

Fairly often, it isn't even the hen that layed the egg that sings, at my house. It is my most vocal Agnes who sings for everyone else!
Some never sing, and most sing before. I learned this from running out there every time I heard it, and not finding any eggs.
I only have one who sings after, and none who sing, during.
Crazy chooks!

brightest blessings!

Some of my recently layers seem to suddenly realize they didn't announce their egg and will suddenly start cackling long after they laid. I have 2 or 3 pullets that stand outside the nest boxes and start cackling even before the layer can stand up to start straining. Roxie is a drama queen who loves to do the celebration song. The sex links have never cackled after laying...they just get up and head to the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom